My plastic surgeon's office gave me two written quotes for a revision, now will not honor the quote.

I had my silicone implants replaced, and one side has developed a Stage II-III capsular contracture. The doctor agreed to perform the revision surgery and waive her surgical fee (I would be responsible for facility, anesthesia). Now, thirty days before the surgery, she has "changed her mind" and wants to charge me for her services.

Quotes for a Revision?

Surgical revision for capsular contracture can become fairly involved and there is no universally accepted approach as to how the associated surgery and anesthesia fees are covered. Having the patient cover facility and anesthesia fees is fairly standard practice. The surgeons fee would be at the discretion of the surgeon and apparently she has changed her mind about waiving her fee. A price quote is not a contract and your surgeon is not bound to honor that quote, although one could certainly argue that it is not an optimal business practice to change one's mind about that after the fact.  Your choices seem to be to pay her for her services or go elsewhere. Some manufacturers do provide a "warranty" for capsular contracture but that typically would only be to replace the implant. Replacing your implant with a new implant should be part of the planned surgery. Revision surgery for capsular contracture can have a significant recurrence rate. Hopefully if your surgeon has decided that she wants to charge something for her services it is because she is taking a more aggressive or complete approach to your revision surgery and therefore feels that charging you something for her services is warranted.

There are no guarantees with cost estimates

but saying one thing and doing another that is costing you more is a stinker, any way you look at it.  Ask your surgeon why she changed her mind and perhaps she may have a legitimate reason for it.  Otherwise if she is charging your full prices, you may want to find a surgeon with a more palatable revision policy.  I personally cover anything for one year with my patients covering the facility, anesthesia, and other incidental fees (implants, lab, etc) if they have any problem related to their implant surgery for one year... its a little generous but used rarely.  And if you have to change surgeons, you can always vent on-line as long as you stick to the facts when telling your story.

Curtis Wong, MD

I am sorry to hear about the problems you have experienced.  I  think that you are best off communicating your concerns directly with your plastic surgeon in a calm/constructive fashion.  

Generally speaking, it is important for patients to understand that sometimes (despite best efforts and intentions) complications do occur. This occurrence of a complication does not necessarily equate to “malpractice”.  I can assure you, that for the majority of plastic surgeons the occurrence of complications  is very troublesome;  you will find that the surgeons will “bend over backwards” to help patients through the challenging courses they experience postoperatively (and to improve outcomes).

I hope this helps

Capsular contracture

You need to have a face to face meeting with the doctor and go over what you were told. Don't try to use an office employee as a go between.  You'll never get anywhere that way.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Services

Sorry that you are having this problem. There is no guarantee the original surgeon will do the work for free. It is unfortunate if she backed out on her word. If you had them recently you should have a warranty and usually the warranty plan will offer you financial assistance. So you can find another expert surgeon who will help you fix the problem. You may have to pay something out of pocket but not all. 

Sincerely,

DrRickAZ

Richard J. Brown, MD

Revision

Sorry for your problem but if you got the warranty on your implants you should be able to get your revision from another expert in the area.  And if you did not, it still might be worth seeing what you might be charged by another more receptive surgeon

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD