Any suggestions for face resurfacing? (photos)

I would like to learn more about resurfacing for deep lines and fine lines around the upper lip and chin area. I have been told it is painful and requires at least 14 - 21 days downtime with both flaking and oozing. Is there any other treatment that can help I am referring to micro needling treatment(s) or fillers. Until I am ready to have enough downtime for the resurfacing

Laser Skin Resurfacing

Thank you for your question. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to determine which laser is best for you, as there are many different types of cosmetic laser being used. In general, ablative lasers remove the most superficial layers of the skin along with imperfections and blemishes whereas the non-ablative lasers passes through to the deeper layers of skin where it stimulates a new layer of skin to form. Recovery time is very short and there is remarkably little post-operative pain or discomfort. The choice of which laser is appropriate in your individual case is based upon the thorough assessment of your age, skin type, extent of sun damage and the degree of lines and wrinkle formations that you want to have removed. 

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Laser Resurfacing Options

Hi and thank you for your question!

We have many options for laser treatments for lines, wrinkles and texture. Often, the ones that require a more downtime, require less treatments to achieve the ideal result. And the ones that have less downtime, often require more treatments to achieve the desired result. So that's something to keep in mind.

From this one photo, we would likely recommend, as the first choice, the Sciton Contour TRL, its a tunable erbium laser. This treats the entire surface of your skin (it is not fractional). We can adjust the settings so that it works with your desired downtime. I would say you should plan for a minimum of 7-10 days downtime to have it be worth your time and money. Ideally, allow for 2 weeks to get the best result. Then there are fractional technologies, we have the Halo and the Venus Viva, these are options if you would like less downtime. You would need a minimum of 3 of these to target your concerns, and possible more. These are treating a certain percentage of the skin at a time.

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Laser Resurfacing for Aging Skin

This is a great question since very few individuals understand that laser is essentially a burn and as a result can thin your skin, leading to an aged look sooner than one would like. Lasers do have their place but I now reserve their use to much more severe cases of skin elasticity loss than yours and even then may use a heavy chemical peel or Croton oil peel since this resurfacing method will not alter pigmentation.

From your photo, you appear to have more volume loss than loss of elasticity. You may be a better candidate for fillers. I primarily use the long term filler Bellafill. I encourage you to learn more about it and look at before and after photos to see if your condition mirrors the patients we have posted.

I have added a web reference and a video for you for more information.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Laser resurfacing, and downtime.

Yes, there are other methods. To date the use of CO2 laser for deep lines is still the best ( Refer to web reference below). 

Depending on the depth, down time can be up to 2 weeks if erbium is used with Co2. Microneedling can work- but you do need several treatments (INFINI), and the outcome will not be as good. 

Dr Davin Lim
Laser dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Smart Skin CO2 Laser

Hello patti lynn,
Thank you for your question and photo. Over the years, signs of aging appear as a result of exposure to the sun, the effects of gravity and natural aging. The texture, tone and pigmentation of your skin can be affected, often resulting in unwanted wrinkles and fine lines, sun spots and larger pores. To assist with these areas, Smart Skin CO2 Laser is the most effective laser that would assist with treating these concerns. The amount of downtime can be tailored to your schedule but the results may vary. In our practice patients typically experience a full week of social downtime, and the following week patients have been able to apply make-up. If this is not something you are able to invest in, Fillers and Botox are also great options that would assist with overall facial rejuventation. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for further information regards both options. I hope this was helpful.

Dr. Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Resurfacing options

There are numerous options on the market for laser resurfacing. What is going to be best for you is going to be based on your individual needs and goals. This is something that I perform on a daily basis, and the results are truly amazing.

In general, like many things in life, the results that you get out of your resurfacing are directly proportional to the downtime that you put into it. That is not to say that you need three weeks, but there is not a magic bullet when to comes to resurfacing. Patient satisfaction with resurfacing procedures is through the roof. Find a knowledgeable doctor that you trust, explore your options, and make a plan.

To ensure you are receiving the highest level of care, seek out a modernly trained, new-school dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these "core four" cosmetic specialties.

Cameron Chesnut
#realself500 Physician

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD, FACMS
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser resurfacing

The fractionated lasers are a nice option for you. There is not a lot of discomfort and the down time ranges from 5-10 days. It is best to schedule a consultation with a physician who performs theses procedures regularly

Laser skin resurfacing for upper lip and perioral lines

Thank you for sharing your question. There are different lasers on the market for resurfacing. The erbium laser is very effective and only requires one week of downtime. Microneedling with PRP can be effective as well, but requires multiple treatment. Injection of dermal fillers can help, but require maintenance every 6 months. I would suggest looking into an experienced doctor who uses the erbium and having a consultation to discuss options. 
Good luck,

Best treatment for fine lines of upper lip

CO2 laser is the gold standard treatment for improving the lines of the upper lip (there is really nothing that can completely eliminate them). I use a Total FX laser which combines the Deep FX and Active FX which can actually increase the thickness of the skin and reduce the lines. Downtime is about 5 to 7 days if a patient has proper pretreatment skin care. There are newer treatments now such as Microneedling (we use Dermapen in my practice). This requires multiple sessions but can get results almost as good as the laser with no downtime. Any of these treatments are almost always enhanced by the use of fillers such as Juvederm Ultra XC.

Laser resurfacing downtime

Laser resurfacing downtime can be considerably less that 2-3 weeks.  The oozing typically stops at 6 days and make-up can be worn by 8 days.  If you are looking for a no-down-time way to stimulate your skin collagen look at Ultherapy, especially using the 1.5 mm depth.

Sam Naficy, MD, FACS