Can botox be helpful in reducing the line/wrinkles below the mouth/chin area?

Most doctors have told me the only way to get rid of the fine lines in the chin area is resurfacing. However, the down time is so long. Is the an alternative?

Depends on the nature of the lines.

BOTOX® temporarily paralyzes the muscles that contribute to the creation and deepening of dynamic facial wrinkles. Without photos or an in-person evaluation, it's impossible to say whether repeated muscle movements are to blame for your chin wrinkles. Rough, aged skin texture may be improved with resurfacing treatments, while deeper lines could respond better to dermal fillers rather than BOTOX®. Sometimes, a combination of treatments is needed for the best outcome.

Eugene Plastic Surgeon

Treating lines around the mouth

There are numerous options to treat these lines around your mouth, and most of them work well.

The most important part in choosing your treatment is having your physician understand what the underlying cause of these lines is. They are a normal part of aging that relate to both sun damage and muscular movements. Occasionally some volume loss can have a significant contribution, but this is usually the least important contributor.

Resurfacing generally is the best way to treat these lines, as it can undo what has already been done with sun damage and muscular movement. Neuromodulators like Botox can improve these lines and help prevent them from getting any deeper, but often once those wrinkles are there, their affects are limited. I tend to avoid fillers in this area unless absolutely necessary, because as I mentioned, volume is usually the least important contributor. Avoiding fillers just boils down to patient satisfaction and cost savings, nobody wants an unhappy patient who spent money on something that doesn't work.

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD, FACMS
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

Chin wrinkles - Botox, Dysport, Restylane Juvederm

Thank you for your question.  I generally find multi-modal approach to a problem trumps single modality in most cases.  For the chin region (and upper lip lines), I find that using Botox or Dysport to soften the muscle effect to be great options.  Adding fillers such as Restylane (or Restylane Silk) and Juvederm Ultra are great options.  I also do find that adding a resurfacing laser or a new device called Profound (radiofrequency microneedling) and dramatically add to the overall effect.

Botox around the chin.

This is a good question that has a simple answer - yes. Botox, like any neuromodulator, is best characterized as a treatment that makes the skin smoother and provides a more refreshed and relaxed appearance. The cosmetic form of botulinum toxin, often simply called Botox, is a popular injectable treatment. This purified toxin blocks nerve impulses, which temporarily paralyzes the muscles that cause facial wrinkles to give the skin a smoother. Hopefully this is helpful to you.

Be healthy and be well,

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for around the mouth

Hello Patti Lynn,

Botox is useful for active rhytids (wrinkles).  In the area around the mouth this can include the "smoker's lines" treated in small doses, the muscles that pull down the corners of the mouth, and finally the chin if it gets a lot of dimples (peau d'orange) when you talk.  Based on what you described you have fine lines.  This may be treated with fillers.  Since you have been recommended a resurfacing procedure, you may consider a Retin-A based product.  This can help improve your skin quality over a few months and improve fine lines with no down time.  Resurfacing procedures such as lasers, dermabrasion, or chemical peels can be great for wrinkles and photo damaged skin but they do have downtime.  I would always caution you to be wary if you are ever promised a procedure that has no downtime.  In my experience these don't lead to any lasting results which leaves you both back where you started and out the cost of the procedure.  I would certainly consult a facial plastic surgeon or a plastic surgeon to provide you with an in person consultation to determine a personalized treatment plan. 

I hope this helps and good luck. 

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fine Lines and Wrinkles Around the Mouth and Chin

There are a number of non-surgical solutions for fine lines and wrinkles around mouth and chin that do not have any significant down time. These include:

• Botox, which is great for relaxing muscles and sometimes used for around the mouth.

• Fillers like Bellafill, Juvederm and Restylane work really well for a lot of perioral aging problems like “lip lines” (I call them lip bar codes) and the downturned mouth or marionette lines. 

• Micro-needling can be a very effective treatment for fine lines as long as it is done properly by a well training technician was has the ability to get to the deeper parts of the skin.

I have added a link to some filler results that show some patients who have been treated in this area as well as a video on filler safety.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Can botox be helpful in reducing the line/wrinkles below the mouth/chin area

Thank you for submitting your question.  Botox can help alleviate some of the dynamic lines in the lower lip, and chin.  Make an appointment with an expert injector to discuss perioral rejuvenation. Best Wishes

Chin Wrinkles -- Botox and Resurfacing/Microneedling/Fractional RF

The best treatments are lasers or radiofrequency for fines lines or cobbly chin but some have very little downtime so I'd speak to an expert in laser treatment.  As for botox, if done properly there are amazing results with injection into this area.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Chin / mouth wrinkles

Thank you for your question. Botox is commonly used to the chin and lip area to smooth wrinkles. It is best to be seen by an expert injector to discuss your options. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Treating dynamic rhytids with Botox

Botox is often the best choice for treating wrinkles (rhytids) that result from dynamic expression (facial expressions).  Dimpling in the chin area caused by the mentalis muscle is one example of an area which is very easily treated with Botox. 

However for fine lines that are present on dynamic expression and at rest, a good skin care regimen in combination with treatments that target the skin are best - such as resurfacing procedures like laser and/or chemical peels. 

Donald B. Yoo, MD