Asian Revision Rhinoplasty: can the nose tip be more defined (and not narrowed) to distinguish the nostrils? (photo)

3 years ago I had a revision rhinoplasty to further refine the tip. The side profile is fine, but from the frontal view there is no definition of the tip of the nose and the nostrils, it looks like it's just one rectangle shape from the bridge to the tip. I don't want to narrow it anymore, I just want to be able to distinguish the tip from the sides of the nostrils. Also, one of my nostrils is longer than the other from the frontal view. Is it possible to fix these w/minimally invasive surgery?

Asian Rhinoplasty - Tip Refinement

Tip refinement and increased tip projection will help to create a more attractive frontal view and bring a better balance to your frontal and profile. When seeking maximal tip refinement during Asian rhinoplasty, sometimes additional structural support is needed to achieve the projection and definition necessary to get the most refinement. It would be possible to achieve further refinement with rib cartilage as opposed to the septal cartilage and ear cartilage.

Also, while nostril asymmetry is the most difficult area of asymmetry to correct, in most cases it can be improved during rhinoplasty. While perfect symmetry is not attainable, improved symmetry usually is.

During an in-person consultation with an Asian rhinoplasty specialist computer-morphing can be performed to give you a better sense of what these changes will have on your appearance. Obtaining your previous operative note and consulting with a rhinoplasty specialist would be helpful.

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. A rhinoplasty that addresses the tip and nostrils is - by definition - less involved than a rhinoplasty that addresses function and a complete contouring of the nose. Your pictures are very helpful, but to complete a diagnosis an in-person examination is necessary. I suggest that you move forward and consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon