Am I a candidate for a breast reduction or lift? Size is between a B-C, would like to be smaller B 135-140lbs, 5'11" (Photos)

my breasts used to be larger, and after struggling with anorexia, dropping weight 150 to 95 , hospitalized, losing /gaining while going through treatment 3 years (in/out) finally been at consistent weight last 6-8 months. they are just lower /saggier on my chest. I was in an ATV accident in 2013 broke my left pelvis in 2 places + sacrum. very susceptible to back pain, 2 years in physical therapy.will my insurance be unlikely to cover average size, and history of mental illness/eating disorder?

Breast Reduction or Lift?

Thank you for adding your photos.  It appears that you would benefit from a breast lift or small breast reduction.  It is impossible to know if your insurance carrier will cover a breast reduction for you.  What you would need to do is see a surgeon so that your information can be collected and then submitted to your carrier for pre-authorization.  Your breast reduction would be on the smaller side and although insurance companies have been very restrictive over the last few years, smaller breast reductions sometimes do get approved. I hope that helps. Best regards.

Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift or small breast reduction?

Thanks for the photos.  You would likely benefit from a lift or a very small reduction.  Either of these procedures would improve your breast shape.  It is super important that you maintain a healthy weight after surgery.  Also, you must be very honest with your surgeon in discussing your eating disorder.  Active eating disorders, especially bulimia, can greatly increase the risk for anesthetic problems.  I would not expect your insurance carrier to pay for this type of surgery as it is cosmetic in nature. 

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

Candidate for a BR?

Also known as reduction mammoplasty, this is an operation intended to reduce the size of a woman's breasts and improve their shape and position. Frequently, the areola (dark skin around the nipple) is also made smaller. Functional symptoms (medical disorders) caused by excessive breast weight may be relieved or improved by this operation. Breast reduction procedures are ideal for:
  • Women who have large, heavy breasts, which may be the cause of movement difficulties, back, shoulder and neck pain, poor posture, bra-strap indentations and chafing under the breasts will benefit from reduction.
  • Women with excessive breast size, which may decrease a sense of attractiveness and self-confidence, are candidates.
  • Women with large breasts that interfere with normal daily activities or with exercise will be more comfortable when reduced.

Am I a candidate for a breast reduction or lift?

You are too small to "need" a reduction for symptomatic improvement and your struggles with body image will not be taken into account by any insurance carrier. That doesnot mean you cannot get a small reduction, it just means you will have to pay for it yourself.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD