Is my skin healing properly after augmentation?

I am 3 weeks post-mastopexy and I am still wearing gauze pads and have the surgical tape my doctor put in place 2 weeks ago. My incisions were around the nipple, underneath the breast and a vertical. The vertical incision is healing wondfully. However, the tape underneath my breast was coming loose so I replaced it and noticed that my skin is bunched up and overlapping. Is this a normal part of healing? There was (very minimal) puss under the tape and I am worried something is wrong.

Post op recovery

I appreciate your question.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Is Skin Healing Properly at 3 Weeks Post-Op

The patient will go home in a bra or with only light dressings over the incision lines. Sutures are dissolvable but an ending knot, if present is removed within 1-2 weeks. Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication. Light activities may be started in 7-10 days.

Over time, gravity will continue to have an effect and the breast skin will tend to stretch. The degree of #stretching and #sagging varies between women: generally, women with smaller breasts experience less recurring sagging. If sagging does occur, further excision of the skin on an outpatient basis can be used to correct the problem. Heavy and large breasts may lead to recurrent sagging and may require the removal of a small amount of breast tissue to achieve an optimal shape and size. One key to a satisfying result is realistic expectations.

All surgical procedures carry some degree of risk Any breast operation can result in changes in sensation. This happens less with lifts than reductions but is still possible Occasionally, minor complications occur and do not affect the surgical outcome. Major complications associated with this procedure are rare. The suitability of the breast lift procedure and specific risks may be determined during your consultation.

#Hypertrophic or #keloid scars can be a problem. The worst are usually under the breast with an #AnchorLift or inverted “T”. These can be treated like all thickened scars with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well...since you haven't provide any pictures I will recommend you to get an appt with your surgeon and check your skin healing process, you have to know that you also have to use your post surgical bra.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Healing concern

Hello, some bunching and puckering of the skin is not uncommon after mastopexy surgery but it is not possible to comment on your healing based on a description.  I would suggest contacting your surgeon to discuss concerns about wound healing.

Contact your surgeon in the event you may have infected sutures.  I would not worry about the appearance of the skin overlapping or bunching up.  Your breast will settle and take shape over time.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Healing?

It is difficult to say how you are haling without at least seeing photos of the incisions. If concerned, see your surgeon.

Overlapping skin?

Thanks for this great question. Your plastic surgeon is the best source to answer this specific wound healing concern. However, lumpy bumpiness and overlapping incisions are usually pretty normal in the first few weeks after breast surgery. Best wishes, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Mastopexy concerns

Hello, and thank you for this question. I would recommend that you follow up with her treating physician. It sounds that you're having some minor wound issues but it is difficult to job cyst without and in person physical examination. Many times patients will have some bunching up of the skin following her procedure that may last for several months. You should able to discuss all of this with her treating surgeon. Best of luck.

John J. O'Brien, Jr., MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon