Open incision 21 days post-mastopexy. Is this normal?

I had breast augmentation 4 years ago (350cc) and decided to get a lift which my PS performed 3 weeks ago. There was some clear yellow puss from under the tape on my nipple so I removed it to clean the area and noticed that the incision is slightly opened. Is this something I should be worried about? I pulled the skin together and re-taped and am considering wearing a bra with more support.

3 weeks post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.

In my practice, after performing a BL I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.  In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards

Open incision 3 wks postop

Hello, it is hard to know whether you have a minor wound opening or more concerning problem based on a description.  If you are worried about your healing progress I would suggest contacting your surgeon.

Incision issue

If it is superficial, then often local wound care will be enough. Hard to say without an exam. You are best to review this with your surgeon.

This is quite common and I wouldn't panic. I would see your PS sooner than later however to make sure there are no sutures that need to be removed.  I would not cover the open wound with tape because this can make the bacteria grow.  Clean the area with peroxide and cover it with gauze.  You may need antibiotics as well to help things heal.  

Wound opening when you have an implant

When an implant is present, it is essential that any wound opening is seen and addressed immediately to avoid an infection which could lead to a loss of the implant.  Please contact your plastic surgeon's office to be seen

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Slow healing postop

Thank you for your question.  I am sorry to hear about your complication.   Unfortunately there can be areas of slow healing after lifts and reductions.  This usually occurs where the scars come together at the vertical and horizon incisions or at the junction of the areola and vertical incision.  Local wound care will typically resolve your issue.  Best to contact your surgeon for instructions.  Good luck.  

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast lifting surgery.Separations along incision lines, after breast lifting surgery, can occur (and usually heal over the course of a few weeks).  One of our major concerns, as plastic surgeons, is the fact that there is an underlying breast implant present.  Therefore, best to let your plastic surgeon know your situation; he/she will be in the best position to assess and advise. Until you are able to see him, I would suggest that you keep the area clean/covered/protected with non-stick/sterile dressings.  Best wishes.