Excision at the fold of the chest? (photos)

I have gone to see a plastic surgeon that has done the gynecomastia surgery before. He goes in at the fold of the chest. I included an image at the area he goes in at. Image is not me, my gyno is worse. I would say I'm stage 3. He's board certified and has great reviews. I asked him why he goes in at that spot and he said any plastic surgeon that knows what they are doing would go in there. Is this normal? or should I seek out another surgeon?

Surgical Options to Treat Gynecomastia

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. The doctor will recommend the one that is best suited to each individual case. The excision technique is used on cases of #gynecomastia where excess skin and glandular breast tissue must be removed and the areola or nipple needs reduction and repositioning to create a natural looking appearance. The incision patterns are determined by the specific condition of the patient. The doctor will recommend this procedure which combines the liposuction technique and excision technique to create a natural look. Patients are given specific instructions for the recovery period. 

Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue.

Excision at the fold of the chest?

The placement of the incision for removal of excess breast tissue and skin for gynecomastia will depend on how severe the condition is.  It is impossible to say what would be appropriate for you without the benefit of seeing your particular pictures.  

Josef Hadeed, MD, FACS

Location of incision

The placement of the incision can vary amoung surgeons. There is not  only one way to do the operation. I prefer to make a single incision more to the side, so thet it is nearly hidden by the arm when it hangs downward. I would be careful about any surgeon who is so dogmatic.

Male Breast Reduction | Gynecomastia

Location of incision is usually surgeon preference.  Different locations are possible. Both the periareolar and inframammary incisions are good choices for male breast reduction.

To be sure, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Gynecomastia incision placement

Why do you require a revision?  Is there additional gland or could it be skin or both?

The peri-areolar approach works very well for the gland, esp since the fold incision has been used already.

If it were me,  I would investigate non invasive skin reduction before putting a lift/skin reduction scar anywhere

but around the areola on a male chest, unless absolutely necessary. If required, scar quality control during

surgery is critical.

Best of luck

Andrew Kornstein, MD, FACS

Excision at the fold of the chest?

That is ONLY his personal opinion. I use many different approaches depending upon the patients anatomy and degree of gynecomastia... 

Inframammary Incision for Gynecomastia Reduction

Many open gynecomastia surgeries are done through an areolar approach as opposed to an inframammary approach. But there may be a compelling reason to use the inframammary approach in severe cases. But without seeing what you look like no comment can be made about its suitability in your case.

Gynecomastia and surgery

Showing your photos would have been helpful There are many ways to treat gynecomastia, and the chosen method depends upon m any variables like fat/ gland content and skin quality or excess.

Areolar

The right approach is areolar, any of its variations, to accomplish efficiently a gynecomastia removal procedure.

Alejandro Nogueira, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia scar is best under the areola.

Since you have severe gynecomastia it is  best to sconsult a plastic surgeon who specialises in gynecomastia surgery. Go to his web site and look at his before and after.See if his has patients with severe condition like youself. The more pictures the better. See reviews about gynecomastia surgery that he has..The best scars are done under the areola.

Mordcai Blau, MD