What kind of rhinoplasty would I need. Or is it just cartilage I need removed? (photos)

I wanted to try wearimg contacts. But when im not wearing my glasses my nose is huge looking. Im African American. I dont believe i have what everyone else has. I see alot of people worried about a hump or a droped tip. The only thing i dont like about my nose is how wide it looks and my tip had no definition. I plan on getting this procedure right after college but which is about 3 years from now( ikr isnt it to early to ask questions, but i planing on starting a savings fund now)

Rhinoplasty to narrow a wide nose

A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish narrowing a wide nose. To narrow the wide nasal bones requires osteotomy's placed in them. To narrow a wide tip requires a tip rhinoplasty. To narrow wide nostrils requires an  alar-plasty. For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below

The Type of Procedure Needed for an Afro-American Nose

Have reviewed your photographs and would strongly suggest that you visit with a  board certified Plastic surgeon. He will probably suggest the following: 1.Mobilization of your nasal bones to narrow your bridge2.Cartilage reshaping or nasal tip to give better definition3.A procedure to narrow the nostril base. 4.A dorsal cartilage graft to give better height and definition of the bridge and nasal tip. Good Luck.  

Joseph Rucker, MD, FACS
Eau Claire Plastic Surgeon

What type of Rhinoplasty do I need?

Thank you for your question.  It is great that you are planning ahead and doing your due diligence on planning your rhinoplasty.  Schedule a consult with a reputable board certified facial plastic surgeon in your area.  Your surgeon will be able to address your thoughts and concerns with a treatment plan.  Best wishes! 

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

You are wise to start doing research now and thinking about the changes you want.  Planning and preparation are the key!  If you have the option of a health savings account once you have a job out of college, that can be helpful sometimes too. There are several things that can be done for your nose.  The first is to give the tip more definition and projection.  Second, we can bring the two nostrils in so they are slightly less wide. Finally, we can reduce the angle of the nasal bones which would give the bridge of your nose more definition.  The key is to get a surgeon who is experienced in African American rhinoplasty.  The goal for you is to make those changes but still keep a natural look. Best of luck

Dr Rodman

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Saving for rhinoplasty

Asking questions now and saving now is wise and responsible.  Your nose can be made to look smaller, mostly narrower.  The process for you would involve more than just removing cartilage.  In fact in African American patients we rarely remove a lot of cartilage.  What is required is fracturing the bones to narrow the upper part of the nose, reshaping the cartilages in the lower part of the nose, and narrowing the nostrils (if that is what you feel will make you happy).

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD