I'm 10 years post BR & retained surgical clip to right breast. I'm 6 months pregnant with pain in that breast. Thoughts?

I had a breast reduction almost 10 years ago, with a retained surgical clip in my right breast. I'm now pregnant, about 6 months along and I am having a ridiculous amount of pain in that breast alone, especially since my breasts have gotten huge all over again. Coincidence? Or should I have this looked at by another plastic or general surgeon? Afraid that it'll be too painful to breastfeed or even pump. I can barely place pressure over the nipple as it is now! Thoughts?

Thank you for your question. In my opinion, you need to be evaluated for this discomfort and locate the cause. I recommend scheduling an evaluation by your #Board #certified #Plastic #surgeon to determine what can be done to relieve the pain. Best wishes and congratulations on your pregnancy!

Pain in breast

By "retained clip" I'm assuming that this is a small metal ligature that's been placed over a blood vessel probably deep inside the parenchyma of the breast. I doubt that this many years later that small clip could cause the problems that you're having. More likely it's just a coincidence and the pain is secondary to pregnancy. Certainly I would recommend you be evaluated by a general surgeon and/or plastic surgeon for corroboration. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS