I am 3 days post-breast lift and have noticed the dressings are darkened from the nipples bleeding. Should I contact my doctor?

I am 3 days post-breast lift and have noticed the dressings are darkened from the nipples bleeding. I have an appointment in 7 days to have my dressings changed and was told by my PS to leave the original dressings on until them. I am concerned about leaving bloodied dressings in place for another week while I am healing and think I should contact my doctor for further instruction.

Post op recovery

I appreciate your question.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Should I call my Plastic Surgeon if I see an excess of blood in my dressings post breast lift aka mastopexy?

Thank you for your question.  Yes, in doubt, you should always call your plastic surgeon's office.  His/her nurse could easily see you and reassure you, and change your dressing.

It is common to have a few drops of blood from any incision but if not sure, contact your office.  They may also offer you to send them a picture if you live far away.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Dr. Marc DuPere, Aesthetic and Breast Plastic Surgeon

Marc DuPere, MD

Blood on dressings

After surgery, it is usual to have SOME staining of the dressings.  If the dressings are saturated with blood, and wet, you should see your surgeon.  Call him or her to relay what's going on, and if you should come in to be seen.

Best of luck to you.

Nicholas Husni, MD, PhD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Should I contact my doctor?

Thank you for your question.  I would recommend calling your surgeon's office earlier to allow them to evaluate if you need to be seen sooner.  It can be common to have some dried blood from post op oozing on the dressings but it is always best to check with your surgeon if you have any concerns!  Best of luck!

Dr. Tag

Bloody dressings 3 days after surgery

Most certainly you should call your plastic surgeon and get some advice to alleviate your anxiety. 

Eric Schaffer, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Dressings

I think that if you have concerns like the ones you mentioned, then you should absolutely ask your surgeon.