Can fraxel cause cystic acne?

I had my first of four fraxel treatments for acne scars. I am 60 years old and my acne has not been a problem for a while. Since the treatment , 6 weeks ago, I have been having frequent recurrence of cystic acne so I have had reservations about having any further treatments. I also have some very tiny new holes in my skin since the procedure that have not disappeared and sometimes turn into blackheads.

Fraxel and Acne

It is possible that you can have an acne flare that may or may not be related to the Fraxel.  The small holes should be examined by your dermatologist since this is not typical of Fraxel.  Fraxel should get rid of small hols and scars caused by acne and not cause further problems.  Please consult an expert in Fraxel and scars.  Best, Dr. Green

Can fraxel cause cystic acne?

Thanks for your query. It is unlikely that you get cystic acne after fraxel but there is minutest possibility that it takes a short course of accutane and apply topical medications after consulting dermatologist. You can withhold the treatments for now. Hope it helps.

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Acne after Fraxel does occur

The laser can stimulate acne. It causes the sebaceous glands to over secrete. Antibiotics are sometimes necessary, particularly in acne prone patients. I would also put you on antibiotics prophylactically during your next Fraxel. A prolonged hole should not occur. Bring this up with your doctor. For acne scars, I like Infini. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD