I had Voluma 1 syringe placed in my cheek area six months ago, then two weeks ago I have another syringe. Any suggestions?

I had Voluma 1 syringe placed in my cheek area six months ago, then two weeks ago I have another syringe placed - overall I love it.... However my left side is perfect, my right seems a little flatter and even less shaped. Should I just let it go for 6 months and re-evaluate?

After two weeks, you should be seeing the final results from your Voluma injections.

After two weeks, you should be seeing the final results from your Voluma injections. If you feel like your right side needs more volume, there is no harm in going for a touchup now - no need to wait 6 months. Make sure that you visit a board-certified, experienced injector who can carefully place just enough to make your cheeks symmetrical, and not over-correct. Good luck!

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma and Asymmetry

Voluma is a great product for the mid-face and it can restore lost volume and rejuvenate the face instantly.  If there appears to be asymmetry you should return now for correction instead of waiting 6 months.  Best, Dr. Green

Voluma

Great Question! Voluma is a product that has been FDA approved to last for up to 2 years. If you feel that your cheeks are slightly asymmetric after your last treatment, I suggest scheduling a follow up appointment with the injecting physician. It’s possible that a touch up can help restore the symmetry of your cheeks and provide you with the result that you are looking for. There is no harm in waiting 6 months, but it’s not necessary. I’m sure that you would like to enjoy the most optimal result from your Voluma injections during that time.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Thank you for your question and I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed your Volume results, it is a good product.  Nothing replaces an in-person examination, but a series of photographs would help determine what degree of asymmetry, if any, you have between your left and right cheeks.  I always ask patients to wait a full month after filler treatment to assess results and before doing any touch up work, so I would hold off for another two weeks before making any adjustments. If you still see differences, then talk to your injector about additional Voluma placement.  

Voluma treatment

Thank you for your question.  I would revisit your injector and discuss your concerns.  I have many patients that continue to build on the progress that has been made.  After a couple weeks, your last treatment results should be stable (i.e. no more swelling/bruising) and you should be able to continue to work towards your goals should you choose.

Voluma 1 side flat

Thank you for your question.  You may require more volume on the side that is flatter.  I recommend following up with your physician for proper evaluation and management to make your right side perfect like your left.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma into cheeks

you may need more on one side and you can go back and have that reinjected to perfect it all.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Any suggestions?

At two weeks, most of the swelling should be resolved.  If you are not happy with the results, you should see your injector again and discuss adding more volume (Voluma) to the right side.  However, if you are only getting one syringe at a time, you may need to add more volume to both sides to split the syringe with more injected on the right than left.  If you think you can live with the mild asymmetry then it might be better to wait. Best of luck!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Repeating Voluma vs Waiting

If you could resubmit your question with photos, it would be helpful.  If the difference is subtle and not noticed by anyone else, you may want to give it some time.  If it is noticeable and bothersome, I would suggest that you go back to your injector for further treatment.  Good luck!

Voluma treatment

The best suggestion depends on how bothersome the difference is.  If it is a slight difference, then you can wait and maybe use makeup techniques to disguise the difference.  If it is something that you notice daily and it is a thorn in your side then you should have it corrected now.  
I would visit with your injector to hear their recommendations based on your overall goals.

Camille Cash, MD