49 years old. Looking for non surgical procedure for sagging skin.

I am 49 years old and have lost 30 pounds in the last year. I now have sagging along the jawline under my chin and on my upper eyelid. Is there truthfully and realistically I non-surgical procedure to correct this?

Ultherapy Candidate

One of the best non-surgical solutions available is Ultherapy, a form of ultrasound skin tightening. This alternative to surgery helps improve skin laxity and correct poor skin quality.

Ultherapy is performed with no incisions and minor discomfort and has little to no downtime with results can last anywhere from a year to up to 3 years. Ulthera technology works by delivering ultrasonic energy to the deepest dermal layer of the skin, stimulating collagen. The new collagen growth will occur in the 3 months following treatment. 

When you are exploring the options of a facial procedure, make sure that you also explore the right type of cosmetic physician to perform your procedure. I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a facial plastic surgeon who is experienced in addressing non-surgical concerns related to the head, face, and neck. 

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Skin tightening | Non-Surgical

Thankfully, there are many skin tightening procedures that really deliver: top devices are the Ultherapy & Thermitight. For delicate areas around the eyes Thermismooth works very well. These devices use energy to induce the skin to make its own collagen, so results are always natural looking. If you have lost weight, you likely have lost some volume in the cheek area and temples, fillers can help with facial contouring, and when done correctly they look natural as well. Great job on getting healthy, Dr. P.

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Great Neck Dermatologic Surgeon

Superficial skin tightening can now be accomplished very effectively with a radio frequency treatment such as Viora®. If there is sagging of the skin AND underlying fat/muscle, then the Ulthera® laser may be the best option.

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Thank you for your question. Spider Web Aesthetics is a different and newly developed skin tightening and rejuvenating technique by Plastic Surgeon Bülent Cihantimur MD. This technique is inspired from the spider web, the strongest and the most elegant structure of the nature. This newly developed technique is now being used as an alternative method of facelift surgeries in more simple and safe way with effective results. Besides; unlike lifting surgeries, patients can put on make-up and return daily activities just after the procedure. This safe technique can also be performed on any parts of the skin where needed; the neck, arms, breast, buttocks and inner thighs. It is performed by placement of polydioxanone sutures to subcutaneous tissue via thin needles and knitting them together under the skin. Tissue reaction occurred against these sutures which were knitted just like the spider web results in collagen production with the help of fibroblasts and growth factors. Collagens surround the sutures and create a natural web structure. The main reasons of the skin sagging is that the loss of elasticity due to deformation of collagen and elastin fibers. In the Spider Web Aesthetics, it is aimed to restore these collagen and elastin fibers with the help of skin tissue itself. Since these fibers are replaced by the body itself with the help of polydioxanone sutures; the results are very natural that no one can understand the patient had an aesthetic procedure.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

49 years old. Looking for non-surgical procedure fo sagging skin.

Thank you for sharing your question.  Without a full series of photographs or in-person examination to evaluate your skin quality and skin sagging/excess it is difficult to offer definite treatment advice.  In most cases of excess skin to the upper eyelids and lower neck only surgical treatments will suffice.  Hope this helps.

Non-surgical options

There are many non-surgical options for your concerns of jawline and upper eyelid sagging. The problem is that all non-surgical options have significant limitations on their ability to tighten and lift skin. We have provided non-surgical options for well over a decade and I would personally recommend Ultherapy and a Halo laser as the most effective way to improve your appearance. However, the improvement will be subtle. If you want a more effective way to treat your problem areas, I'd recommend an upper blepharoplasty and a minilift. These surgical procedures can be performed in the office setting using just local anesthetic. The results are dramatic, but natural. 

Andrew Campbell, M.D.

Facial Rejuvenation Specialist

Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Non-Surgical for Sagging Skin

Kybella, Ultherapy and/or ThermiRF treatments (Venus Legacy) would be non-invasive options that would do well in combination. I recommend seeing an expert for formal consultation. Best, Dr. Emer