Is a tummy tuck, breast augmentation, and extensive lipo too much for 1 surgery? (Photo)

I am interested in getting a TT with lipo to flank, waist, full back and arm pit region, BA and lipo to arms, and knee area. Can this be done in 1 setting. I recently had a physical in early Oct. and got a good bill of health with exception of a BMI of 29.

Combining Multiple Procedures With a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.   
Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.

The costs of a #Mommy Makeover will depend on several factors. Such include the geographic location, the skill and experience of the surgeon, and operating room and anesthesia fees.  Also, such #combined operations are often performed with our Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with Mommy Makeovers. Therefore, if you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your doctor.

If your surgeon feels you are a candidate, it may be possible to add additional procedures such as those you mention. #Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.  Most importantly, your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Tummy tuck with lipo and breast aug combined

Thank you for your question. A tummy tuck, liposuction and breast augmentation are great procedures to combine as they address some of big changes that happen after pregnancy or weight changes. It is often referred to as a mommy makeover. It is a bigger procedure and may often require a night in the hospital.
The safety and feasibility will depend on the overall length of time, the overall amount of fat that is needed to removed to get the results you are looking for,  your medical history and what you want your recovery to be like.

I would consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your options in more detail, review if there are any medical reasons to stage the procedure. If they deem you are healthy to have have the combined procedure, then you will only have one recovery.

Is a tummy tuck, breast augmentation, and extensive lipo too much for one surgery?

As long as you are in good health the combination of procedures you have described should be able to be done safely and one operation. Multiple surgical procedures can safely be performed at the same time providing; it is done by an experienced, properly trained plastic surgeon with a team who routinely and efficiently performs combination procedures, the patient is properly selected for the procedures and proper safety guidelines are closely adhered to.
One of the most important factors in performing several procedures at the same time is the length of surgery. Although there is no universally agreed upon time limit most surgeons would probably agree that the limit falls between 4-6 hours. Many surgeons use 5 hours as a limit. Complication rates begin to rise as the length of surgery exceeds this time frame. In order to safely and effectively perform several procedures within this timeframe it is very important that the surgeon and his or her team are highly trained and routinely perform these combinations in an efficient manner.
A very important member of the team is the anesthesiologist. An anesthesiologist who routinely performs with the team understands the various details important to an ideal outcome and ideal postoperative recovery.
In order to properly select patients for lengthy surgical procedure such as this many factors need to be taken into consideration. Some these include the patient's BMI, any history of pulmonary problems, a history of sleep apnea, and the presence of diabetes or heart problems. Every patient should undergo a risk assessment for the development of a DVT (blood clot) and/or pulmonary embolism. If a significant risk is identified appropriate steps must be taken to satisfactorily reduce the risk.
When preparing a patient for a combination procedure it is very important to properly educate them on what to expect during the recovery and the homecare they will need.
Many patients comment that the results of these combinations are truly life-changing. Fortunately today, these life-changing combination procedures can be safely performed as long as it is done by highly trained and efficient surgical teams on properly selected patient's with safety as the primary consideration.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Combination of Lipo, breast surgery, and abdominoplasty very common mommy makeover

In general the operations you mention are commonly perform together. In your particular case your health and specific operative plan will determine whether or not these should be done in combination or should be staggered.

Can procedures be combined safely?

Every patient that I see presents different problems and wishes. I routinely combined procedures like you mentioned but my main goals are patient safety and getting the best result that I can. Combining procedures does reduce overall costs for the patient as well as there is just one recovery.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Multiple surgeries

Thank you for your question and photos.  Of course, an in-peson exam is no substitute for an online consultation, but from what I can see, you would likely do very well with a tummy tuck and circumferential liposuction. If you are healthy, you will likely do well.  A BMI of 29 is not a contra-indication for surgery, but if you are planning to lose more weight, I would advise you to do so ahead of time.  For a long surgery like you are describing, I would plan to keep you overnight and would likely prescribe a blood thinner (Lovenox) post to minimize the risk of DVT/PE.  Please seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for a consultation and make sure all of your questions are answered. Best wishes. 

Matthew H. Steele, MD
Sioux City Plastic Surgeon

Is a tummy tuck, breast augmentation, and extensive lipo too much for 1 surgery?

Combining cosmetic plastic surgery procedures is not uncommon. Whether you are a reasonable candidate for those procedures depends on your anatomy, your medical history, realistic expectations of the outcome and an understanding of the pros and cons of the various procedures, the extent of the liposuction.

Safety should always be the main concern. It is generally recommended that the length of elective surgery be less than six hours. The procedures should be performed in an ambulatory facility that is accredited by one of the national organizations like the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgical Facilities (AAAASF) or in a licensed hospital. Many surgeons would recommend an overnight stay at an appropriate facility where you can be appropriately monitored. Most patients prefer undergoing one anesthesia and one recovery period which is usually more cost effective.

Having said all of that, many ethical well trained plastic surgeons would feel that the combination you are asking about is excessive and has significant risks factors if performed in one stage.

Keep in mind that following the advice of any surgeon on this or any other web site who proposes to tell you what to do without: examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, and taking a full medical history, as well as discussing the pros and cons of each operative option would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by The American Board of
Plastic Surgery who is ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with, and discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. That way, you can have a better idea what is safe and makes the most sense for you.

Before proceeding with a combination of these procedures, you should have medical clearance from your primary care physician and a discussion between him or her and your plastic surgeon.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

1 surgery

It is possible to have all the procedures you mention in one surgical session.  If you are healthy, it is possible for a fast surgeon to do the procedures skillfully and properly. 

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Combining surgeries

If you would like a breast augmentation, tummy tuck and more liposuction than one liter, I suggest that you stagger the surgeries about 3-4 months apart. Breast augmentation and liposuction first. Then a full tummy tuck. Or you could do a 'mommy makeover' (tummy and breast) then come back for liposuction later. It would be at your discretion what you do first. By law in Florida with a tummy tuck you can only remove one liter of fat. Best to be seen in person by a board certified plastic surgeon for all available options.

Thank you for your question and good luck!

Too much too soon

This is a lot of surgery and equally important A LOT OF RECOVERY. Consider doing your procedures in stages. Additional weight loss will afford you a less complicated postoperative recovery. Good luck. 

Carlos Burnett, MD, FACS
Westfield Plastic Surgeon