What should I do? I'm scared (Photo)

Pl look at pics and tell me what I need 2 to I knew it taped up with dry gauze and change 3 times a day. Did 20 daya on keflix sp? Now on barium pl help

Scared

Don't be scared, wound separations like this are not uncommon after tummy tucks. They always heal, but may take some time. Work with your plastic surgeon, I'm sure he or she has your best interests at heart.
Good luck.

Pl look at pics and tell me what I need 2 to I knew it taped up with dry gauze and change 3 times a day. Did 20 daya on keflix s

I am sorry to hear about the complication you are experiencing. It is not uncommon wound separation and most of the times it will heal itself. Wound looks clean so it will heal. Pl followup with your surgeon and his wound care.

Wounds

Thank you for the question and photo and open wounds do better with a moist/ antibiotic dressing like Silvadene so see your surgeon or another wound care specialist 

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Continue close follow-up with your plastic surgeon…

I am sorry to hear about the complication you are experiencing. Separation of the incision line is a known complication after tummy tuck surgery. Close follow up with your plastic surgeon will be in your best interests; sometimes removal of a exposed suture and/or removal of any unhealthy tissue will expedite healing. Otherwise, wound care regimens will differ from one plastic surgeon to another. Generally, this will involve application of some type of sterile dressing ( in my practice I use a non-stick dressing covered by a sterile dressing). You should have peace of mind that (despite the "scary" appearance of these wounds) these types of wound healing problems generally go on to heal over the course of the next several weeks, without long-term sequelae. It may be helpful for you to know that sometimes the area may "look worse, before it looks better". Also important to concentrate on a healthy diet, including a good protein source. Occasionally, in the event of a wider scar, scar revision surgery may be helpful down the line. Best wishes.

Keep moist, antibiotic ointment

Sorry to hear about your problem. You should clean the wound 2-3 times per day and use antibiotic ointment (bacitracin or silver based, etc.) to keep it moist. You should see your surgeon regularly to assess the wound until it's healed. After it has healed, the scar will be slightly wider but will contract and not look so bad. That part of the scar can also be re-excised 6 months later and reclosed. If there is any fullness or redness along your abdomen or major drainage, you should see your surgeon to check for a seroma.

Wesley G. Schooler, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon