My breast are about a natural B to C cup and firm. Could they be increased to a DD or DDD? I really want them bigger.

Increasing breast size

A breast augmentation is a powerful procedure that will be able to provide you with larger breast size.  Generally speaking, yes, it is possible to go from a C cup to a DD cup.  However it is important to note that cup sizes are not standardized, and the idea of a DD or DDD cup is different from person to person.  There are many factors, mainly body habitus and breast measurements, that will better guide us in determining if this is possible.  Thus it is important to have an in-person consultation so that a proper physical examination can be performed and your goals reviewed so that a proper recommendation can be provided.

Best of luck and hope this information helps!

- Dr. Roger Tsai

Beverly Hills Physician

Breast Size and Augmentation

It is very likely you can get your goal bra cup size after breast augmentation.  However, you need to know that bra cup sizes and breast implant size have very little in common, and it is impossible to predict what bra you will be wearing after breast augmentation. That is why you should let go of what bra size you want and instead focus on how you will look with implants. This is called sizing, and is performed in the doctors office using sizers or implants placed into a tight, unpadded bra. How you look in the mirror will give your surgeon the best information about what size implant to use. As you can see, no bra size prediction necessary, and what bra you end up wearing is irrelevant, because you like the way you look in the mirror. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that perform all aspects of breast surgery, not just implants. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Natural B to C cup and firm. Could they be increased to a DD or DDD?

It is impossible without examining you or at least seeing photographs to determine how much distensible and relaxed skin and breast tissue is available to allow for placement of an excessively large implant.  Going from a B cup to a triple D cup is being very aggressive and I advise you to watch the video linked to above for information about the negatives of having such large implants.  This includes a high risk of implant displacement, double bubble, rippling and thinning of your breast tissue that you may regret in the future.  Most of my patients in your size range attempt to achieve a full C or possibly D cup and generally the results are excellent and natural.  Being more aggressive in my opinion increases the risk of complications and disappointment  over time though this does not occur in everyone.  Good luck in making your decision.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Thank you for your question.  Generally speaking it takes 150-200 cc of breast implant to increase you by a cup size.  For you to go from a B cup to a triple D cup would require a very large breast implant.

The size of implant that you can accommodate will be determined by a measurement of the base width of your breast.  Please consult a board certified plastic surgeon for an examination and advice as to the size of implant you can accommodate.   For more information on breast implant sizing please read the link below:

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  If you are a good candidate for the procedure, the goal you seek does not seem unattainable.  The best advice would be to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to be evaluated, discuss surgical options, address your goals and work together with your surgeon to create the surgical plan that best helps you achieve your overall desired look.

With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Size increase

Thank you for the question and the simple answer is YES but what size implant and what approach would be best for you requires an examination.  So go on some complimentary consultations with experts in your area and become informed

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Breast augmentation limits

The largest implant that we have is approximately 800cc; this implant will easily transform you from a B to DD, etc. The main question is whether your nipple position will accommodate this implant; specifically, the nipple must be centered on your implant; thus the implant radius cannot be longer than your nipple to inframammary crease distance; if it is longer, you may need a simultaneous lift to accommodate this implant.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Breast augmentation

You can achieve larger breasts with a breast augmentation. I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon so they can perform a physical examination and take measurements to recommend the best implant type/sizes for your body. There are 3D simulators that can show you what you would look like with different types of implants and different sizes, this can be helpful when trying to decide what size would achieve your cosmetic goals. At my office, I use high profile Sientra implants to create a round full result that looks natural, giving you the result that you want. Additionally, i use Crisalix which is a virtual reality device that will allow you to view different sizes of implants and pick which best suits your desires.  As the only board certified plastic surgeon in Pittsburgh offering this virtual reality imaging system, we have a 100% satisfaction rate.  Crisalix is truly a unique experience for our patients as they can view themselves using virtual reality goggles and can instantly visualize their own breasts changing in size and shape with all of the various brands, sizes and shapes of breast implants.  Thus, our patients leave the consultation feeling confident with the size of the implant they chose. 
Best of luck in your endeavors!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Could your breasts be increased to a DD ?

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another. 
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a  Breast Augmentation.