Is it safe to attempt to stand straight 2 weeks after tummy tuck and muscle repair?

Had surgery feb 5th 2016. Is it ok to attemp to stand straight? What can happen?

Tummy Tuck and Muscle repair

If you can stand straight up without experiencing significant discomfort or pulling, then you are probably ok to do so.We tell patients to avoid standing the first few days after the surgery because the sutures need sufficient to heal without opening the wound.It is critical that you listen to your body; it is important not to force anything and only do what feels comfortable.I would recommend a follow up visit with your plastic surgeon to get specific recommendations on what is appropriate given your unique body and healing pattern.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

2 weeks post op tummy tuck

It should be safe to stand upright.  My patients can do so days after the procedure (but I am not known for making the tightest tummies).  If there is no excessive tension or increasing pain with standing upright, you should be able to do that.  And you should confirm this with your surgeon if you were instructed to always walk hunched over.

Curtis Wong, MD

Standing straight up post tummy tuck

Standing up straight 2 weeks after a tummy tuck is okay, but be sure to listen to your body.Don’t try to force it and do what feels comfortable.We don’t recommend standing up straight in the first few days following the tummy tuck because the sutures need to time to heal nice and tight without any tension to open up the wound.That is the biggest concern with standing up straight after surgery.So, if you can now stand up straight without feeling too much pulling or pain, you should be okay.You can always follow up with your Plastic Surgeon directly if you have any concerns or just want to be sure.I hope this is helpful.

Reps B. Sundin, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Post op recovery

Speak with your surgeon as he or she knows your case intimately, but yes, I think it would be fine. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Ultimately you need to ask your surgeon this one because everyone has a recommendation based on what they do in the operating room. I allow my patients to start to stand upright week 2. Hope that helps.

Richard J. Brown, MD

When can I stand up straight after a tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question.  My patients generally start to stand straight up between 2-3 weeks post-op.  You should discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon as every surgeon has different protocols for recovery and they will know best the details of your operation and your state of healing.  I hope this helps!

Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Sean Kelishadi, MD

Standing straight after a tummy tuck

By two weeks, it should be safe to begin standing straight. Typically, this standing straight should be done gradually and if at any point you feel discomfort, you should refrain from advancing further. Discuss this with your plastic surgeon to see what he or she recommends given their surgical technique. They will be able to give you the best detailed instructions regarding restrictions and activity. 

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Standing upright 2 weeks after Tummy Tuck

Yes I encourage my patients to start standing straight, It will feel tight but it is good to start to stand upright.

Jack B. Quigley, MD
Flagstaff Plastic Surgeon

Standing straight

Thank you for the question and that is when I agenerally have my patients begin to stand straight.

Dr.Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

When can you stand up after and abdominoplasty.

I permit my patients to stand completely vertical as soon as they feel comfortable after and abdominoplasty. Most patients will protect the abdominal wall was slight flexion for at least a few days. However, they would not do damage to the operation by standing erect.