I believe I have significant lower scleral show. What can I do? (photos)

Firstly, I don't know if I have an underlying medical condition or not. My eyes have seemed to be like this for as long as I can remember. So where should I start? What kind of doctor or specialist should I see? Please note that the pictures are of me completely relaxing my face and refraining from any expression. I would really like the lower eyelid lifted so that it comes up to the iris and has that "almond" shape that all those male models seem to have.

Doctor Answers 2

Scleral show

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question and photos.

I agree that you do have scleral show. There are several reasons for this, and treatment will depend on the underlying cause and anatomy.

I recommend that you consult with a board certified plastic or oculoplastic surgeon in your community. After a thorough history and exam they can recommend specific treatment options for your particular situation.

Best Regards,

Dr. Stutman

Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon

Lower lid scleral show

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
from your photos I would agree with you, you do have some show of the lower sclera. In the absence of any previous surgery this is likely familial - do other in your family have the same phenomenon?

There are many variations of lower lid tightening procedure, they can all be performed under local anaesthetic. What you must realise is that is this is a familial trait, there is the possibility that you will look significantly different to the normal 'you'. Are you prepared for that?

Common lid tightening procedures (slings, canthoplasty, canthopexy etc.) are performed to restore eyes back to their natural (pre operated) shape.

If you do decide to go down this path, make sure you see a facial / oculoplastic surgeon who does a lot of eyelid surgery, is happy to show you their results and whom you have a gut feel trust for. They should also be board certifed in any discipline that covers your concern be that facial plastics, oculoplastics or general plastics.

Good luck with your search

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.