Scarring after gynecomastia surgery complication. Any helpful advice towards making it better would be appreciated? (photo)

During the surgery the left side had a lot of bleeding due to a damaged blood vessel. Realized it only when I came back home and then had to be rushed back to the hospital to deal with the hematoma. I have been wearing silicone sheets for a month and the second picture shows the current state. I now have there an unsightly scar,loss of sensation and a sunken nipple. Moreover there is a cleft next to the nipple where the the blood vessel was sutured up. Psychologically I am worse off than before.

Hematoma

I'm sorry you experienced this.  Hematoma while not all that common, can occur.  The brushing you see will eventually resolve. It will take time for the body to heal but all should improve over time.

Male breast reduction

Hang in there, the scars will get better. I think you're doing the right thing with the silicone sheeting. At least the skies are flat. With your pigment you may have the advantage that getting sunlight on your skin may darken and make the scars less visible. I would probably wait until you at least three months after surgery before trying that. Also you may discuss with your surgeon the possibility of injecting fat or other filler to help create more nipple projection.Good luck!

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Scars from Gynecomastia Surgery

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.In the future, if you are concerned with scars, with your surgeon's approval you may be able to use scar management treatments such as Biocornuem,  Scar Guard, Scar Fade,  IPL Laser,  Yag Laser,   5fu/Kenalog for thick scars, or silicone sheeting.