Is it safe for me to travel for 6 hours by air, 5 weeks after a Tummy tuck, liposuction and abdominal hernia repair?

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Flying Post Op

5 weeks is plenty of time to have passed as far as risk of blood clots post surgery however you likely still have limitations for activity and lifting. I recommend that you speak with your Plastic Surgeon about activity restrictions at this point in your recovery as they know your situation the best. 

Take care

Travelling 5 weeks after a Tummy tuck, liposuction and abdominal hernia repair

5 weeks is enough time for your body to recover to have an almost normal function. The travel itself is not a problem. The most probable issue is how much you will strain your body with heavy lifting and too much movement. It is advisable to have limitations with what you will do and how much weight you will be carrying. It is best to talk to your surgeon as he or she will know your individual case best.

Charles Nduka, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Yes safe for travel if you can avoid heavy lifting

In my opinion, it would be totally reasonable to travel 5 weeks after your surgery like you are asking. Of course, your surgeon's opinion is paramount as there may be other factors involved in your individual case. 

The travel itself would be fine, but given that is has only been 5 weeks, my biggest concern would not be for the travel, but ensuring that you don't strain or lift anything too heavy (i.e. a big suitcase) as normally I would be wanting my patients to still be avoiding heavy lifting at that point in their recovery.

Air travel after tummy tuck

5 weeks is adequate time for rest before you travel. Its best to consult your plastic surgeon who can examine you clinically, for more information. If you have had a seroma, (which needed aspiration).its best to have a (seroma free) interval of 2 weeks before you fly. Cabin pressure changes can cause the fluid to reaccumulate. However, if your post op recovery has been smooth, i don't think you would have cause to worry.

There is no definite answer for this.  The air travel shouldn't affect your results.  However, abdominoplasty is an operation that carries an increased risk of DVT.  This is compounded with long flights when you are sitting still for hours at a time.  If you have to travel, you would do best to walk around as frequently as possible. 

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon