Is rib grafting for revision rhinoplasty only done by the best rhinoplasty experts?

I have a overresected bridge and upturned tip with flaring nostrils. A doctor told me that the doctor who he referred me to probably would be using rib because I need a lot of building up and the ear cartilage won't be enough. Can rib be used for bridge and tip? I have thin skin.

Rib Cartilage Graft Can Be a Great Option For a Revision Rhinoplasty

if you have been over-resected bridge and an upturned tip with flared nostrils following a previous rhinoplasty, its very likely that you won't have enough of the cartilage left in your nose or septum to correct this.  In this case, rib cartilage is a great option to help with your problems. There are very good 20 year studies showing the effectiveness and longevity without twisting or warping of rib cartilage in revision rhinoplasty. Revision rhinoplasty is one of the most difficult plastic surgeries to perform.  Make sure that the surgeon doing it has had a lot of experience with rhinoplasty, revision rhinoplasty, and with using rib cartilage in these cases.  Good luck.

Greenwood Village Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rib graft in rhinoplasty.

When rhinoplasty is performed, graft material (extra material to build or "sure up" the rhinoplasty) is often used.  This can be cartilage, fascia, dermis, occasionally bone. In primary rhinoplasty cartilage is normally taken from within the nose and is usually part of the septum which is not needed. If there is insufficient septum, then rib cartilage may be required, occasionally ear cartilage.

It is routine and you should not be concerned if it is suggested by your surgeon, but by all means ask questions about likelihood and how it will be done (usually a very small incision on the chest).

Peter Callan, MBBS
Geelong Plastic Surgeon

Rib cartilage for revision rhinoplasty

Rib cartilage is harvested when there is not enough cartilage is available in the nose or when long, straight, strong grafts are necessary: building up the bridge, bringing an upturned tip back down. 

It can be used on the bridge and tip of the nose. The surgeon needs to be careful in patients in thin skin. Camouflaging techniques and smooth edges are important in thin skin. 

I would recommend consulting with a surgeon who is experienced with rib as there are many nuances to harvesting and carving it. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon