Can I get lip augmentation? (Photos)

I was stabbed15 years ago in the face the muscle that goes round the mouth was severed and I had surgery by maxilla facial then further plastic surgery to improve the scaring and shape . There is also scaring inside my mouth and it droops slightly to one side . Would it be wise to try lip augmentation or could I make it worse

Stabbed in face 15 yrs ago can I get lip augmentation?

Hi, I have performed many lip augmentation procedures using dermal fillers or lip implants for over 30 years. From the photos, it looks like an inferior based trap door injury above and to the side over the upper lip.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, the upper lip should be approximately 75 % the size of the lower lip for the lips to appear balanced. The upper lip can be augmented using a dermal filler or a Permalip implant.  It seems that you should be able to have your lips augmented, first trying a dermal filler.  In the hands of an experienced lip augmentation Surgeon, there would seem to be no added risk from your previous injury.

Dermal filers and lip implants offer far more reliable volume to augment the lips than permanent fillers or fat injections that are also associated with increased, unwanted, side effects.

Hope this helps.

Yes lip filler would be possible

Hello. Your lips have a good shape and filler, perhaps Juvederm Vobella would be a good option. It may be possible to create more symmetry of the upper lip with filler. The scar on the left upper lip may benefit from a scar revision and fractional laser resurfacing. 

Christine Hamori, MD

Improvement of lip aesthetics after trauma

Thank you very much for your question.  Judging from your photographs it does appear that you are a candidate for lip augmentation.  There are also some steps that could be taken to improve the appearance of your facial scarring if this is of concern to you.  A combination of treatment of scarring and lip enhancement will give best overall improvement to the area around the mouth.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Can I get lip augmentation?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  I see your area of depressed scar but do not think it would worsen or prevent a lip augmentation.  A similar filler used to augment and define your lip can be used to help even the level of the scar.  I would recommend Volbella.  Hope this helps.

Scar injection lip

Thanks for your question and sorry you had to go through something like that. 

First off, if the red lip was inlvoved in the accident, the repair looks great. I would focus on filling the depression left by the scar first, but of course you could have your lips treated. There would be know problem there with that. 

Hope this helps and God Bless!

Dr. Robb

Philip K. Robb Jr., MD
Evans Physician

You may consider filling your depressed scar before considering lip augmentation.

Your photo appears to show a depressed scar in the shape of the number seven, on the white portion of your left upper lip and cheek - where you were previously stabbed. Depending on your examination, you may be a candidate for Silikon-1000 injections - an off-label filler for permanent results. Hope this helps you. Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Multimodality Scar Therapy

Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear of your experience. Within our Scar Therapy Clinic, we use injectable fillers routinely to "fine tune" the size, shape and definition of the peri-oral region. You should see a surgeon who can computer image you to show what is possible based upon your anatomy.

Best wishes!

Greg Chernoff, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip augmentation with existing scarring

Thank you for your question. Sorry to hear about the trauma you have endured.

The important thing to understand about a filler procedure in a patient such as yourself who has scarring, is that it carries more risk.

The scarring creates thickened tissue which is called fibrosis. This alters the underlying anatomy and makes the tissue more vulnerable to damage to the blood vessels.

So the implications are this:

1. greater risk of bruising

2. greater risk of skin necrosis

3. technically more difficult to achieve a smooth symmetrical result as the fibrosis may prevent even flow of the filler.

That being said, an experienced practitioner will allow for this and advise / treat accordingly.

It would be my strong advice only to visit a reputable practitioner and certifiably not a novice!

Tapan Patel, MBBS
London Physician