What can I do to get into a doctor I have picked out to do my breast reduction? He said my B.M.I was not right?

If I lost 15 pounds I would look sick....I'm only 5'2 what can I do? I have so much pain with back,neck and arms...

BMI incorrect for surgery

I am not sure you have given us enough information to be able to really help you.  Any good Dr. would do their best to help you, and it would be unusual for them to Given no explanation for why they do not think they should operate.

Breast reduction

Without more information it is impossible for me to answer your question accurately.  Best to see someone in person to be evaluated.

Insurance Approved Breast Reduction and Obesity

Your question is actually several questions in one. 

Like all businesses, insurance companies are in business to make money for their stock holders many of which are the very pension funds your and my retirement may be invested in. They make money by keeping as much as possible by approving procedures only to those people who pass certain criteria. When it comes to breast reduction, you must have an acceptable BMI ( height and weight relation), have demonstrated that trying "conservative measures" for a least 6 months have not worked and the surgeon has to remove at least a pound and often more from each breast. 

Since the insurance company is paying (maybe) for your surgery and not you, the surgeon knows that he will not be paid if you do not perfectly fit the criteria imposed by your insurance company including being too heavy. Your options are to lose weight and fit the criteria imposed by your insurance company or for you to pay out of pocket ( where you and the surgeon decide just how much to remove from each breast without your having to lose weight. 

Tough choice. The choice is yours. 

Peter Aldea MD

Breast Reduction Concerns…

Although definitive advice would require much more information, it sounds like you may be ready for breast reduction surgery at this point. In other words, if you have reached a long-term stable weight and are otherwise a good candidate (which can only be determined after an person consultation), then it may be time to proceed.

You may wish to seek second opinion consultations with other board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. Best wishes for outcome that you will be pleased with.

What can I do to get into a doctor I have picked out to do my breast reduction?

Thank you for your question.  If you're not seeing eye to eye with your surgeon or if there's an issue with communication, consider consulting with several different board certified plastic surgeons to get a better idea of the recommendations that you're receiving.  In my practice, I do not operate on patients with BMIs over 35 for safety reasons.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS