I'm a 5'3, 160 lb woman. The doctor recommends 500cc to each breast. Is that a good size for me?

I'm a 5'3" 160lb woman and I'm having fat transfers made to my breasts. The dr recommends 500cc to each breast is that a good size for me

There is really no way to tell about optimal volume for fat transfer without a physical exam

There are so many factors that go into the success of a fat transfer procedure, and many of them can only be determined at the time of a physical exam.  Such things as the quality and tone of your tissues and how the volume is actually distributed in your breasts are very important in the planning of this procedure, and a surgeon can only get that information from examining you.  The best thing you can do is locate a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience with fat transfer to the breast and schedule a personal consultation with him/her so that your specific goals and needs can be discussed and an exam can be performed to see if you are a candidate for the procedure.  Good luck.

Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation

Without photos, an exam and/or measurements it is impossible to give you the best advice, however here is some general advice about fat transfer breast augmentaion.

For years, Plastic Surgeons and their patients have desired to transfer unwanted fat from their tummy or thighs to their breasts. We are now are able to do this safely.
If you have been considering a Breast augmentation with or without a breast lift but are not comfortable with introducing artificial material into your body, you may want to look into the benefits of breast augmentation with fat transfer. An alternative to breast implants is fat transfer also known as fat grafting or lipoinjection. This technique allows women the option of enhancing the appearance of their breasts without the potential problems of saline or silicone implants such as hardness, rippling or rupture.
Who is a candidate?
  • Any woman who is healthy
  • Women with sufficient body fat for the procedure
  • Women considering breast augmentation who wish to be one cup size larger or less
  • Women who have had breast augmentation or reconstruction but who lack fullness or have contour concerns. Fat transfer can further enhance and reshape your breasts while smoothing out visible or palpable edges of breast implants. This will disguise implant rippling and wrinkling.
  • Women with normal mammography

Fat grafting 500 cc's to breasts

is a very large amount.  If your goal is simply to be larger, then it will probably work for you.  If you want a certain look (ie: fake, more upper pole fullness, etc), its unlikely the fat grafting alone will do it for you.  Make sure your surgeon understands your expectations and ask about external sizers to help you better appreciate what you will look like if all of the graft (which isn't likely) should take.

Curtis Wong, MD

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: your individual anatomy, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing suit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest  that your plastic surgeon be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon