I'm 1 week post-op. For some reason most of my pain is coming from stitches, not soreness. Is this normal?

I will be a week post-op tomorrow (Thursday) but most of my pain is coming from stitches rather than soreness. Is this concerning or normal?

Thank you for your question.  At only one week post-op, this pain as you have described is not entirely uncommon.  As you continue through the healing process, please maintain an open dialogue with your operating surgeon.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Potentially normal feelings after surgery

Thank you for your inquiry and congratulations on your surgery.Based on your description, at one week post op it is not uncommon to field pain, soreness, discomfort, Etc.I recommend that you be a little more patient and keep communicating with your surgeon while following his or her instructions diligently.Without a physical examination, it is not possible to assess the current positioning of your stitches.

Please remain positive and the best of luck to you.

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Stitch soreness

Yes, it is normal to have soreness at the stitches after breast augmentation.  This will pass. Enjoy your new look!

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

1 week post breast augmentation and pain around stitches

Yes, it's normal to have some discomfort at incisions, but I would follow up with your PS to take a look at the incisions just to be sure they are healing normally.

Chad Robbins, MD

Pain around stitches

Thanks for your question.  Some pain from the stitches in the incision is not necessarily abnormal.  However, a proper wound check would be required to determine if your incision is healing normally.

Pain from stitches 1 week post-op can be normal

At 1 week after surgery we would still expect your stitches to be providing most of the strength of your wound closure as your tissues won't have healed well enough yet.  There is likely also some swelling and extra tension on the tissues and this will pull on the stitches too.  Depending upon what layer of your tissues your stitches are in, this can cause varying amounts of pain.  Most times I use fairly large, strong sutures to anchor the deeper tissues at the bottom of the breast pocket, and sometimes that actually is sewn to the lining of the ribs too.  This can sometimes cause some pain at 1 week postop.  The most important thing to be sure of is that the pain isn't an indication of something else, like an infection.  As long as the area isn't red, swollen, hot to the touch, extremely tender, or looking like it wants to drain something, this is probably not the case.  Maintain close follow up with your surgeon and follow his or her instructions closely.  If you notice anything new that develops, be sure to contact your surgeon's office just to discuss it with them; don't just ignore something or assume that just because you got reassurance from the doctors in this forum that everything is OK.  Sometimes you need to speak personally with your doctor, or even go in for a visit.  Good luck.

Pain at incision site from stitches after breast implant surgery

Thanks for sharing your question about breast implant recovery.

It is not unusual to have some discomfort at your incision site after breast surgery.  In my practice, I notice most of my patients feel very good at one week.  I have at times seen patients that complain of breast pain at the incision site early after surgery when they go straight to wearing an underwire bra which may rub by the incision or sutures.  I see all of my breast implant patients in the first week and make sure to review activity instruction and also recommend bras for the next several weeks.  Make sure to follow up with your plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns.  It is very possible that it is something that is easily corrected by some adjustment in the type of bra you are wearing, or just the removal of a very superficial stitch.

Best Wishes

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Pain at Sutures After Breast Surgery

That is somewhat expected regarding your procedure. Every patients course is somewhat different and can be unique. There is nothing to worry about regarding this concern.

Continue to follow up with your surgeon to ensure that you progress as planned. Best of luck, Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Your pain may be more from the incision itself, and this is not uncommon. Be sure to keep all your follow up visits with your surgeon so he\she can monitor your healing.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

1 Week Post Op

Hi there, thanks for posting your photo. What you are describing is very common at this stage in your recovery. It is difficult to say if what you are experiencing is "normal" without seeing any photos. I suggest following up with your surgeon if the pain persists or worsens. BEst of luck. -Dr. Coan

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon