Will my tip get a little down after a while? (photo)

I'm 3 weeks post rhinoplasty and i can see my tip is very elevated

Will tip drop

It is too early to tell- by 3 months you will be able to assess tip position - some early significant swelling in the first 4-6 weeks can give it the appearance of being too high but this changes as some swelling  reduces

3 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.

It's too early to make value judgments with only 3 weeks after a rhinoplasty. Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity. In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months. To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you. Kind regards,  Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photograph.

I do agree at this point in your recovery it does look slightly elevated but you are still quite early in your recovery period and your appearance will continue to refine.  It may take up to a year for all swelling to resolve and for your nasal appearance to settle to a final outcome. Your doctor may prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help reduce the swelling. Healing is often unpredictable and one side may heal quicker than the other and sometimes even nasal bones may shift in healing.  The outcomes may not be as expected.  In some cases a revision may be recommended to refine your outcomes, but I would wait at least 12-18 months so you are fully healed before considering a revision. 
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Timing of

I do agree, after examining your photographs, that your nasal tip does appear to be somewhat elevated. However, 3 weeks post rhinoplasty is very early.  The latest 3-D analyses of the time course of the dissipation of postoperative swelling following rhinoplasty, indicate that, on average, 90% of the swelling is gone after about 6 months following the surgery. In our practice, we commonly use this time point as an opportunity to assess the healing process,  the shape, contour and proportion of the nose, and the possibility of revision surgery in the future, if this is a question.

Peter Lee, MD, FACS

Tip elevation after rhinoplasty

Great question.  The final appearance of your nasal tip after healing is complete will depend on the amount of swelling present currently as well as the forces generated by the cartilage shaping that occured during the rhinoplasty surgery.  You are still fairly early following your rhinoplasty procedure.  Give it at least 3-6 months before deciding on what the final result is and how if any changes you would like to be made.  In the meantime, your plastic surgeon can give you his/her recommendation as to what will happen in the coming months based on what they know occurred during the rhinoplasty procedure.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Rhinoplasty

Hi,

Thank you for your question. At 3 weeks you are still very early in the healing process. Give it time and be patient it should come down over time. It can take up to a year to see the final results of your new nose. Follow  up with your surgeon if you have any concerns.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Still healing

You are correct, you do have some increased rotation of your tip. However, since it is only 3 weeks post op, the tip will settle over the next few weeks. The nose continues to change as we age, including lowering and decreased rotation of the tip. I would address the issue with your surgeon if you are still unhappy at the 1 year mark. 

Meir Hershcovitch, MD
Calabasas Otolaryngologist

Nasal tip during healing

During the healing process, some swelling on and around the tip can cause it to look "elevated" or "more rotated" than you may expect.  In general, this should improve and come down as the swelling improves.  Remember that it can take several weeks to a few months for swelling of your nose to completely resolve.  You will continue to see changes of your tip over that time.

Should you have any concerns about the way your nose is healing, I recommend you contact your surgeon to have him/her look at it.  Best of luck!

Kyle T. Yamamoto, MD
Reno Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip

You are still early in your healing and your tip should come down over time.  Keep close follow up with your plastic surgeon.  Best wishes.  

Jules Walters, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon