I'm 3 months p/o gynecomastia (no lipo), excision of breast tissue. One areola is bumpy. Should I give it more time? (Photo)

Dear Doctors, one of my areola's is looking quite funny 3 1/2 month after my surgery, its puffy and the higher part is bumpier than the lower part of it which makes the tip of it pointing downwards. Is it possible that it would look better if i wait 3 more month? I'm anxious and not sure what to think about in regard, if it's the doctor lack of skills or it is just some scar tissue that would probably disappear after sometime… thank you for your time and advice. Picture attached

3 Months Post Gynecomastia Surgery

Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

3 months after gynecomastia excision

It might still be some swelling but there is a small chance that you might need a little more removed. I would give it at least 6 months if not more form the original surgery date to decide

Julio Garcia, MD

Worried about gynecomastia reduction

The photo suggests either there is swelling or there may be a little left over tissue behind the nipple.
Wait another 3 months. If it hasn't improved to your satisfaction, return to your surgeon to discuss a minor revision to improve your result. Best wishes.