The skin under my chin is loose and has lines of skin when I move or stretch my neck. Is there anything I can do? (Photo)

I'm only 27 and didn't think this was a normal thing for someone my age. Could this be caused by sun damage?

Neck Lift

Thank you for your question. Botox and other injectable can provide you with a loosened muscle and can work to achieve your desired relaxed aesthetic appearance. Always consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. Please mind my video below to ensure that you are following good aging practices, habits which are most beneficial when implemented at a young age.Best wishes,

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin under neck

Hello! Your platysma muscle under your chin is very prominent. It runs vertically in the neck and you clearly have banding of the muscle. Some Botox to relax it, perhaps along with light chemical peels to improve skin elasticity, can help but require maintenance. And don't forget the sunscreen- ultraviolet light accelerates aging and removes elastin from the skin. Good luck!

Catherine Winslow, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Muscle bands

Thank you for your question, what you are describing is the muscle underneath your skin called the platysma. This muscle can be hyper active in some patients and more noticeable in patients with thicker skin, or thinner necks.    One thing that may be able to relax this muscle is a small injection of Botox. I frequently use this in the neck for patients with overactive muscles in this region. It provides a simple and noninvasive relief. For older patients with put platysmal bands, a neck lift is most commonly needed. 

Kailash Narasimhan, MD
Sherman Plastic Surgeon

Platysmal bands

Thanks for your inquiry. These are called, "platysmal bands." They are simply the thin muscle layer of the neck & lower face that, in some people, have a tendency to have thicker bands and be more noticeable. At your young age, I would suggest Botox. This can really help. The product can be expected to last for 3-4 months, but if you treat them routinely, you may decrease the appearance of the bands on a longer term basis. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon