Can liposuction surgery be considered as a reconstructive surgery when it is performed to treat lipedema which is a disease?

My insurance covers "surgery to correct a functional defect" or "surgery to correct a condition caused by injury or illness if: (1) the condition produced a major effect on the member's appearance and (2) the condition can reasonably be expected to be corrected by such surgery". The insurance finally came around and covered Flexitouch pneumatic compression System. Any thoughts? Thank you!

Insurance for lipoedema

I have never seen liposuction offered as a covered treatment. That is not to say that your insurer may not offer some alternate treatments for your proposed procedure. The quoted criteria are general and more commonly applied to cleft palate procedures.  You may want to search the carrier websites for their specific criteria applicable to a multitude of procedures.

Insurance coverage of liposuction

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• No insurance company I have worked with will pay for liposuction for any reason.
  • It is specifically excluded in many policies.
  • You need to contact your insurance directly to find out their position with respect to your liposuction.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  Lipedema is only now being recognized more and more by physicians, and it does respond well to liposuction.  Unfortunately insurance companies still deem correction to be "not medically necessary" and do not cover the costs for patients.  I would contact your insurance company directly and ask if they cover liposuction for lipedema and if so, ask for the necessary criteria for coverage.  Best wishes.