Do I need a breast lift &/or implants? (Photo)

I'm 34 with 4 children. I weigh about 145. I have been a 36B as far as I can remember. My breats no longer fill out a 36B so I had to downsize to a 36A, but my breasts bulge out of the cups so I'm confused. My breasts have changed alot within the last year. I breastfed my youngest child for 3 months (stopped September 2015) & I have lost alot of weight. I battle hashimoto disease, as well.

Breast augmentation alone or with lift?

Thank you for your question and series of photos. You seem to be a great candidate for breast augmentation alone, the breast implants can be used to restore volume and provide some lifting. This is a great approach and keeps scarring off of the front of the breast which I usually prefer.  The implant will increase fullness and fill the skin envelope.  Correct placement will also provide a few centimeters of lift, which is all many patients need for things to look perfect. Breast augmentation is a very powerful technique in the right hands, and can have dramatic results in a variety of breasts types.  Most important is a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon regarding this procedure.  Don’t settle for less!

Breast issue

Implants are good if you want more volume. It is hard to say from the photos if a lift will do anything for you.

Breast Lift or Augmentation

Thank you for your question.  From your pictures it looks like your nipples sit well above the level of the fold under the breast.  This means that breast implants alone should provide a pleasing result.  Remember that the breasts have settled with the four pregnancies, and that they will sit at a lower position than they were before kids.   There are modifications of the standard augmentation technique that will shift the lower portion of the pectoral muscle, so that the implant properly fills out the lower portion of the breast.  Please make sure to discuss this with your surgeon.  Best of luck.

John Q. Cook, MD

Do I need a breast lift &/or implants?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. Breasts commonly change after childbirth and this can involve both a loss of volume and drooping. It appears that you've experienced a little bit of both. It is important to understand that a breast lift and breast implants are completely different procedures and serve completely different purposes. A breast lift does one thing only and that is to reposition the breast to a more youthful position. Like removing the draping paper off of a present, it does not change the size of the box or the size of the breast. It only repositions the breast volume. A breast implant is a completely different concept where volume is necessarily added. It is not a compensation for a breast lift and does not raise the breast. It only increases volume. In patients who have a slight degree of drooping, and implant may give the illusion that a breast is lifted by causing the breast to swing outward like the hand on a clock going from say the 6 to 8 o'clock position. However, you will necessarily increase your cup size and, with the additional weight, will stretch the skin out so that over time drooping may again occur. There's a lot of information to gather and to understand with these two concepts and it can often be confusing so I would certainly recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in all types of breast surgery. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr. Kaiser - Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant with lift

Although I have always performed breast lifts with implants in a single stage with very low revision rates over the past 25 years and I have not experienced more excessive scarring. Even if this did occur it could easily be taken care of as an office procedure later. I have no problems however with other plastic surgeons who feel the need to do this in two stages. It is becoming a trend to do breast lifts with implants in one stage however the important point is that surgeons should do what they do best. Usually their training determines what technique they will perform in the future.You should never "force" a surgeon to do a technique that they do not feel comfortable performing. 
Make sure you pick a board certified plastic surgeon.

You would do awesome with an augmentation

I think you would do awesome with an augmentation by itself.  There are many options out there and without examining you and listening and seeing pictures of your goals, it's kinda hard to give you the best advice.  It appears your nipples are a bit lateral on each breast, so just be aware that might be accentuated once an implant is placed.  It will be less drastic if the correct implant FOR YOU is chosen.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that gets beautiful results with breast augmentation surgery.  Hope this helps.

Do I need a breast lift &/or implants?

Based on your photos and description a breast augmentation should meet your goals. An implant will add volume and a little bit of a lift, while a mastopexy (breast lift) will not change volume, only position of the tissue. For having four children it appears that your tissue has maintained well. 

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift or implants?

Based upon the photos provided, it appears that you would be a good candidate for breast augmentation.  You do not appear to need a lift.  Consult with your board certified plastic surgeon and good luck.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a breast augmentation (no lift needed).  This can give you volume and a nice shape. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD