Has anybody out there had or performed a Breast augmentation subglandular? (photos)

What are your thoughts? Are you happy with your results? If you feel comfortable please post pictures so I can compare them to mine. I'm just scared that I made the wrong decision for implant placement. I got 400 cc's on both sides. Did your doctor tell you to wear an underwire bra 24/7? With the picture that I posted, do you think mine are already dropping or sagging too much? Do you have any pointers to stop them from dropping more?

Has anybody out there had or performed a Breast augmentation subglandular?

From your preoperative photos it looks like you had some ptosis prior to your first surgery. This is the amount of sagging of the breast. Your nipple appeared to be at or below the crease, which is typically a reason to add a lift to a breast augmentation.
If you have questions regarding the sagging that you have now, it's a good idea to readdress them with your surgeon. They will be a will to go over all of your options.

Subglandular implants

Thank you for your question.  Most surgeons place breast implants under the muscle to achieve a more natural result and reduce the risk of capsular contracture.  The usual exception are body builders and athletic women where there is an increased risk of animation deformity.  Based on your photos, it appears that you would benefit from a breast lift, which would raise your breasts and nipple position, reduce the areola size, improve symmetry and make the breasts more round and perky.  Also, moving the implants to under the muscle in a dual plane would be best.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

All plastic surgeons are well versed with subglandular augmentations

and most choose to go under the muscle due to the many benefits of doing so.  You started in a situation where you needed a lift and you should have had one.  The problem I saw with subglandular augmentation is their tendency toward 'rock in a sock' looks a few years down the road.  If you want to prevent that from occurring, support with brassieres will be required.

Curtis Wong, MD

Michelle, you are on a doctor site so your question goes to the physician consultants. Your preop photos indicate a nipple location at or near the fold under the breast and that anatomy usually will require a breast lift prior to or at the time of the breast augment. Breast implants do not lift but rather add volume to the breast where the breast is. SInce your breasts were low the volume was added low. Wearing a bra will only lift the breasts while the bra is on. You may want to revisit with your surgeon to talk about a lift.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Needed a breast lift

For sure, based on photos, you needed a full breast lift from the start, no implant placement would prevent this. Hopefully your surgeon discussed this with you as to get a nice result you will still need to do that. 

There is another lternative

Instead of subglandular placement, if you qualify, look into subfascial placement. It is one of the top procedures in Brazil and is slowly catching on here. In the subglandular position the implant is placed under the outer covering of the pectoralis muscle (fascia). This offers the advantages of subglandular while still affording protection from ripples exposed edges and wrinkles. In my practice, I use subfascial placement about %60 of the time with excellent results, no motion artifact and most important, very high patient satisfaction.  

Donald W. Kress, MD, FACS
Frederick Plastic Surgeon

Subglandular breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photographs.
Subglandular breast augmentation is performed in only select patients. It is often used in body builders or very athletic women who do not want animation or do not want to have surgery on the pectoralis muscle. Also, placement of a subglandular implant can stretch the skin envelope more, perhaps minimizing the need for a breast lift. In your instance, however, you still need a lift, as your nipples are lower than the breast implant. And your breast will likely continue to sag over time, due to gravity and the weight of the implant. I suggest expressing your concerns with your surgeon and discussing a breast lift. Best of luck to you...

The majority of women we perform breast implants upon undergo under the muscle positioning. I would have preferred under the muscle with a breast lift. You now have a double bubble deformity. 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Subglandular implants

Hi. The issue has less to do with your implant placement, than it does with the indication for an augmentation. You appear to have had some sag pre-operatively, and adding the weight of a fairly large implant in the sub-glandular space will simply add more pressure to an already sagging breast skin envelope. I suspect that you may have been better off with a lift and modest sized implant in the first place, which despite the additional scarring, would probably have given you a better overall breast shape. Perhaps re-discuss your goals and concerns with your surgeon.

Paul Jason Skoll, MBChB, FRCS, FCS (SA) Plast
South Africa Plastic Surgeon

Has anybody out there had or performed a subglandular breast augmentation?

Thank you for your question and photos. Subglandular augmentation gives the most natural look in the right patient. Submuscular augmentation is more common due to the patient's anatomic presentation and lack of breast tissue to cover the implant and give a more natural look. As it was pointed out in another post, with submuscular implants you will get breast animation which is hardly considered natural. Capsular contracture rates are very similar, no matter were the implants are placed. A lot dependeds on the surgeon's technique and attention to detail. Based on your photos, your implants do not sag, they were placed into saggy breasts and you ended up with a very predictable result. You needed a breast lift with your augmentation. Talk to your plastic surgeon and discuss a lift to give you a more aesthetic outcome. Good luck.