What kind of procedure do I need to fix the uneven shape of my eyebrows? Is Botox a good idea or do I need surgery?

My right eyebrow has a nice slight arch to it while my left eyebrow is more flat and it really bothers me. I was wondering what kind of procedure I should consider to fix my left eyebrow and make my eyebrows more even and more arched, would Botox be a good idea or do I need a surgical procedure?

Botox can be used to create a "brow lift" effect

Botox can be used to create a "brow lift" effect. Remember every individual requires specific treatment. Botox lasts approx 3 months.
Schedule an appointment with an expert injector to determine if Botox is the right treatment for you or if you are a candidate for a more permanent solution ie. brow lift.  

Botox browlift

Botox can be used to manipulate the position of the brow.  The muscles that control brow position are as follows:

• Corrugators: these are the muscles responsible for the 11 lines between the brows.  They push the brows together and down.  Injection results in elevation of the inner portion of the eyebrow.
  • Orbicularis oculi: these are the muscles responsible or crows feet.  They cause compression of the skin outside the eyes.  Injection results in elevation of the outer portion of the eyebrow.
  • Frontalis: these are the muscles responsible for horizontal forehead lines.  They elevate the eyebrows.  Injection results in lowering of the eyebrow.
With this in mind, Botox injections can be tailored to reshape the eyebrow.  Recognize that perfect symmetry of the eyebrows will never be achieved--either with Botox or with surgery.  Unless your brow asymmetry is severw, I would definitely start with Botox.

Ronald Friedman, MD
Plano Plastic Surgeon

Uneven Brows

Dear Jacksonmsmith,

There are many reasons why brows can be asymmetric.  Before deciding on a treatment, it would be prudent to understand the underlying cause of the asymmetry and direct the treatment to address the "root" of the problem.  If the asymmetry is not due to underlying anatomic issues and appears to be related more to muscle function, Botox may provide a very satisfactory answer.  There are other non-invasive and surgical options if necessary. 

Take care,
RAD

Roger A. Dailey, MD, FACS
Portland Oculoplastic Surgeon

I would start with a simple procedure such as Botox below the brow that is flatter.  If this does not help then you may need a lateral brow lift or a temple lift to help obtain symmetry.

Above all choosing a ember of the American Society for Aesthetic Surgery, you can be assured that your surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Good luck.

Stanley P. Gulin, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Without seeing you or seeing photos of you, it is hard to give exact advice.  Yes, you can raise your eyebrows a bit with Botox, but if it needs significant elevation, you may need some type of browlift.  Best to be seen or see photos.

Botox is an option for asymmetric brows but is not exact.

Botox is an easy treatment to try to fix your brows. Don't expect that the doctor will be able to exactly get the brows to the ideal position but it is quick, easy, and temporary vs surgery which is more expensive, more permanent, has more risk, yet still not 100% exact. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

How to fix uneven eyebrows?

Photos would really be helpful to give you the best advice, but Botox can sometimes help to even out eyebrows.  You would need to be evaluated to determine if you might be a good candidate for Botox or not.  Surgery can also sometimes help to even out eyebrows, but if you happen to be a candidate for surgery or Botox, I would try the Botox first since it's a non-surgical option with less risk. 

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Uneven brows.

I need photos to determine what would be best for your problem. See an experienced surgeon for best results.