5 days post op - labiaplasty (Photo)

I am aware that extreme swelling is normal but All the other women online who have shared photos of their labiaplasty and are the same day post op as me, look A LOT less swollen. I kind of look like a baboon lol. I'm sure it's normal but just wanted to get your professional opinion. PS I'm having some discharge (not from my wounds but rather my vagina) and itching that's radiating from inside and higher up the vagina. I'm prone to yeast infections so trying to rule that out. Thank you!

Recovery after labiaplasty

Thanks for posting your photographs and questions.  You are in the very early stages of your recovery and swelling and discomfort is normal at this stage.  Be patient and don’t compare your recovery to others - everyone heals at their own rate.  Its important to rule out or treat any yeast infection to avoid further irritation.  Speak with your plastic surgeon for their advise.

Additional Risks of Surgery

Hello and thank you for your question and photos. You are correct that swelling for several weeks after surgery is normal, but your concerns with the discharge and itching are definitely something that could be additional problems and should likely be evaluated by your surgeon to make sure that the healing process is going well.

All surgical procedures have some degree of risk. Minor complications that do not affect the outcome occur occasionally.  Major complications are rare. These can include infection, bleeding, (hematoma), separation of the incision, changes in sensation, pain, increased sensitivity, unsatisfactory cosmetic results. Any concerns of infection, new pain, swelling, bleeding, drainage should immediately be addressed by the doctor. Although your itching and discharge are not directly from the incision it still should be addressed by your surgeon just to make sure. Good luck!

5 days post op - labiaplasty

Thank you for sharing.  Although you are very swollen and I am sure very tender, I would still classify this within normal for this time frame.  I would however, make sure that your surgeon is well aware of the swelling and you follow all post op instructions carefully. 

As for the discharge, you may want to get a vaginal culture if possible to make sure there is not a vaginal infection that requires treatment.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Swelling after labiaplasty

Dear Alyssagigi,

From your photos you appear to have a normal amount of swelling for this procedure. The tissue in this area is much more prone to swelling than other areas of the body. Additionally, it is naturally in a dependent position, which makes it harder for the body to mobilize the fluid. My peri-operative regimen for this procedure includes a short dose of steroids to decrease swelling and improve comfort. You may want to discuss this option with your physician. In regards to your discharge, you should see your physician to determine whether you require an oral antifungal medication. Given that photos only give part of the picture, it would be best for you to contact your surgeon to get specific answers. Best wishes, Dr. Meghan Nadeau, Seattle, WA

Meghan Nadeau, MD

Extreme swelling

Thanks for sharing your story.  It is my opinion that your condition is not extremely unusual.  This extreme swelling is most likely due to your  bodies natural ability to shift fluids/ie water composition as I don't see any signs of cellulitis or infection.  This can be caused by your bodies natural balancing of salt and water in your system and this can be thrown off by herbs, vitamins, diet and diet pills.   I have seen a number of patients with your amount of post op swelling and they tend to heal just fine.  Continue cold compresses to the area and limit your salt intake ( including foods with high salt content) contact your surgeon and express your concern. Best of luck in your recovery'.

John R Miklos MD

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Extreme swelling is never normal after any surgery

Extreme swelling puts extreme stress on your sutures and increases the risk of your scars falling apart. If the swelling gets worse, the risk increases further and might even impair blood flow to the skin surface. The swelling is either significant (a sign of something else going on that needs to managed), or insignificant (a sign that it's just an extreme healing response), but it's certainly not normal and that is why not too many scars look like yours.

5 days post op - labiaplasty

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  I agree that your swelling is on the more severe side following a labiaplasty, though it does appear to be generalized and not indicative of a hematoma.  I would try pelvic elevation and cold compresses to help reduce the swelling and I would also recommend antiinflammatory over-the-counter medications such as arnica Montana and bromelain.  As far as the itching I would voice your concern to your surgeon, they may want to perform an in-person examination to rule out a yeast infection and/or offer you an anti fungal as this can cause your incisions to be disrupted.  Hope this helps.

Post Labiaplasty Swelling

Edema (swelling) of the labia can occur.   Ice packs to the area for up to 10 min per hour, can help reduce or minimize the swelling. Also , it is important to not sit on your bottom directly for a few days post procedure. Lying on your side, or using  a donut or travel neck pillow , can help keep pressure off this area.   (You don't want the vulva to be the most dependent area of your body for the first few days.)  If you are itchy and you have a history of vaginal yeast infections, antibiotics that you were given to prevent a post operative infection at the surgery site, probably triggered an overgrowth of yeast.  Ask your doctor to prescribe oral fluconazole 150 mg one tablet and repeat in 3 days for not completely resolved.

Best regards,

Dr Chapman

Thank you for sharing.  Everyone heals differently from labiaplasty surgery.  Your swelling seems relatively normal but please be sure to keep your surgeon updated on your progress.

John G. Hunter, MD