Do I need a lift? Will 500cc silicone implants be too big? I'm currently a D cup! (Photo)

Breast augmentation with periareolar lift!

Implant size and do I need a lift.

You may not need a lift based on your photos but a 500cc implant does seem rather large.  You can not augment yourself out of a lift.  using a larger implant does not fix droopy breast or breast ptosis.  This is a common misconception .   Patients and some surgeons think that using a bigger implant will simulate the effects of a breast lift and this is not true.  The best way I have found to size implants is with the mentor sizing system.  This is performed in your plastic surgeons office trying on different sizers.  Make sure your surgery is performed by a board certified plastic surgeon.  

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants with lift

If they are too big it's only a question that you can really answer. It appears that you have the ability to handle that size implant. If you tried them on you thought that you look nice and I think they will be a good size for you. Your picture would suggest that you might not need the lift especially if you're choosing an implant of that size. I would discuss this with your surgeon and I think it is sometimes easier to do the augmentation first and avoid the lift and then decide later if you want to lift.Good luck!

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

We would have to know your goals...

While 500cc sounds very large (imagine that every 200cc is roughly a "cup" size in bra measurements), it's not as much the absolute number, but rather, how that number (the volume) is distributed by the implant.  What I mean is there are different styles of implants and the volume in each implant can be distributed very differently (may be a "round" or a "shaped" implant or may be "low profile" or "high profile").  The same volume will give an entirely different result depending on that implant's distribution of the given volume.  I hope that makes sense.  Bottom line- don't get fixated on volume of implant or cc's.  Communicate your goals with your surgeon so things are crystal clear and don't proceed with surgery unless you feel you are understood and everyone is on the same plan.

Do I need a lift? Will 500cc silicone implants be too big? I'm currently a D cup!

Thank you for the question. Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery. Unfortunately, the photographs were not of such quality that allow for a determination whether breast lifting will be helpful as well. 

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals we have time for a you their stuff's's homewith your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "D or DD cup” or "too big" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Breast Implants

Based on your photos, you have a good amount of breast volume.  500 cc implants are very large.  You may want to reconsider the size.  Try on sizers in your surgeon's office for a clear understanding of the volume you are considering adding.  You may not need a lift at this time.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Implants possible without a lift

Thank you for your question and photographs.  You appear to be a good candidate for breast augmentation and it is possible that you could have the surgery without getting a lift.  It would take an examination to be sure as you do have some sagging and may be at the cusp of needing a lift.  You appear to be more of a C cup based on your photos, however, there are bra companies that use vanity sizing to try and make women feel that they are bigger than what they really are.  500cc implants are very large and, unless you want to be a real DD, you may want to reconsider. Get your implants under the muscle and make sure that you surgeon is board certified. 

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift with augmentation such as breasts implants, also I recommend you to don't have more than 400 cc's, because you already have breast tissue, they will get really good, hugs!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Depends on you

Frankly, the right choice for you is going to depend on your desired outcome and an in person exam. If you haven't already, book a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area (link below) to discuss your options. And try out the 500cc to see if they suit your lifestyle. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Lift?

Thank you for your question and photo.  It does no appear, based on your nipple's position relative to your inframammary fold, that you need a breast lift.  Instead, you can achieve enhanced upper pole fullness with implants alone.  Keep in mind though, that large implants (such as 500 cc's) will only cause the breasts to sag further which could warrant a breast lift in the future.  If you have not already, please be sure that you are seen in person by a board certified plastic surgeon who is an expert in the breast lift and augmentation procedures to determine what would be the best course of action for you.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

#Is500cc'sTooBigForMyFrame ?

Here is my best opinion regarding implant choice and whether you need a lift. You will need to convey to your surgeon what you believe is your ideal image first. It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast lift and augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “D” cup to a “E” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below.