Should I continue with this process? (Photo)

I received 2 sessions of tattoo removal. The 1st time nothing happen it healed nicely, the second time it hurt more intensely. After the session it scabbed and blistered and as it begins to peel i notice the white spots under the scabbed part which is alot of the tattoo. What should I do? The tattoo is so ugly should i continue with the removal. Or should get it re tatted over the hypo pigmented skin. my second session was last week on the 23rd.

Tattoo removal is likely to have some scarring with it. This appears to be doing OK

Tattoo removal isn't easy and the results are anything but guaranteed.  Sadly, there is often scarring with it.  I do think this one is healing OK and I'd continue with it but make sure you are going to a qualified person.  In our clinic my PAs or I look over each and every tattoo before treatment and choose the settings.  This can make the difference between good and bad.  Best wishes.

Omaha Dermatologic Surgeon

Use the Best Technology Available

Q-Switch or nanosecond lasers came out about 20 years ago.  Picosecond laser came out about 3 years ago.  The majority of former Q-Switch patients we see have significant hypopigmentation (ghosting) around and under their tattoo.  The Q-Switch lasers have trouble differentiating between the melanin in your skin and ink.  The technology uses heat to burn the pigment out of your skin.  In addition, we have seen patients with raised scars as if they have been branded.  Both of these condition are irreversible. 

Picosecond lasers (like the PicoWay & PicoSure) fire 1000 times faster, using a pressure wave rather than heat to shear the ink molecules apart.  After using the PicoSure for almost 2 years, we have only seen pinpoint hypopigmentation in a very small number of patients usually of darker skin tones.  We cannot say it is impossible to get burned with a Picosecond laser, but it is highly unlikely.  We tell every PicoSure tattoo patient to expect at least 6 treatments, but don’t be surprised if it takes 10 to 12.  Patience is the key for our patients.  We typically see our tattoo removal patients every 6 to 8 weeks initially.  If they have more time than money, we encourage them to come every 6 months as the tattoos seem to continue to fade while they wait.

We recommend waiting 6 weeks until your tattoo is healed and then finding an experienced physician in your area.  Treatment prices vary by market.  The cost for picosecond treatments will be higher, but you should need less than half the treatments compared to a  nanosecond laser.

Laura Riehm, MD
Fort Worth Physician

Laser Tattoo Removal -- Takes a series of treatmetns

Tattoo removal takes a number of sessions this will take many. It appears to be healing well and still in the healing process.  Removing a tattoo is way more painful and costly than getting one.  Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Should I continue with this process?

Thank you for your question and photo.  Tattoo removal can take time to achieve the best results of removal and avoidance of unnecessary scarring.  Aggressive treatments can leave a laser scar that looks like the tattoo.  Be patient and if uncertain get another opinion by a board certified plastic surgeon who does laser tattoo removal.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon