What can I have done to get rid of my white spots on my teeth? Super embarrassed also need my teeth filed. (photo)

Was told calcium deficiency

A few good solutions for white spots

Hi there,

White spots can form on teeth for a number of different reasons.  Teeth are like skin, they have little pores, and the white spots are sites where there is a difference in the consistency of the enamel.  

Whilst it may not be aesthetically pleasing, it is not usually a cause for concern for the health of the tooth.  There are several options for you

1. Leave them and do nothing - this will mean no damage to your tooth, and there would be no risks involved. 

2. Whiten - whitening would improve the colour of your underlying tooth, but it also may make the white patches appear a lot brighter.  If the white patches brighten significantly, this usually reduces in colour a lot quicker too.  The white patches are usually more porous, and can take up bleach more readily.  However, at low peroxide concentrations whitening poses very little risk to teeth and gums as long as the patient is dentally fit.

3. Use a sandblasting technique to try and improve the surface of the tooth.  This is done in the dental office using a fine sandblaster which can lift stains and surface irregularities.  After this the site could be filled with a clear resin, which may resolve the patch.  This technique has very low risk but may result in some sensitivity.  No anaesthetic is required. 

4. Remove the offending mark with a drill and fill with composite.  This is a more destructive approach and would condemn your tooth to a lifetime of having fillings placed in it.  This also involves more risk to the tooth, destroys some enamel and is generally not the approach I would suggest in the first instance.

5. DMG ICON treatment.  This is a relatively new treatment which can literally make white spots disappear and out of all the options for intervention, it would be my favourite.  DMG ICON treatments performed AFTER you have whitened your teeth to the colour you like (you can do this before whitening too but if you are looking to improve the shade of your teeth it is best to do so after whitening).  Anaesthetic is not required, and it is a simple in-office treatment taking around 20 minutes. The surface of the tooth is cleaned and prepared with a special solution, and then a special resin is placed on the spots.  This can make the spots disappear.  Generally, the more "snowflake" the spot, the better ICON works.  Spots that are very solid in colour (like tipp-ex) or already pitted have a lower success rate with ICON.  The risks of this treatment is that it may not work; as it involves no other preparation of the tooth the risk profile is very low.  And it works amazingly with whitening treatment - we use Enlighten at our office and our results are fantastic.

Hope this helps!

MJ x

White spots

Whiting  is not suggested, when you have white spots, it highlights the white spots more.  In general, I either let my patients know that the white spots will be highlighted during the whiting process or discourage  them from whitening.  I would suggest a little recontouring, but if that doesn't get rid of the spots, you can have your dentist apply bonding to cover them.  good luck.  

White Spots

The first thing to do is whiten your teeth. Sometimes the white spots can blend in better with your teeth when your teeth are whiter. If you still see the spots afterwards and it bothers you, you can have them fully removed by slightly drilling them away and replacing it with the proper shade of tooth colored filling material. You can then shorten the 2 front teeth slightly. What you have is called hypocalcification, but it doesn't necessarily mean you don't have enough calcium in your body. I hope this helps!

What can I do to get rid of white spots?

It appears that the white spots are at the biting edges of your two front teeth.  Since your two front teeth are significantly longer than the teeth next to them, the quickest and least expensive treatment would be cosmetic recontouring.  By reducing the length of your two front teeth, the white spots would be eliminated as the teeth are shortened.  In my opinion, I think this would give you a more attractive smile.  

Gary Braunstein, DDS
Encinitas Dentist