I have a BCC on the neck- how can I have a cosmetically acceptable result? Previous surgery left me with scars

My Dr. has removed 2 other BCC [less than 2 cm.] from my legs and the results are dented and look like Halloween... long, wide scars with long cross marks from stitches. He is also a MOHs surgeon. I told him I don't want to look like that on my neck. He said if I want to get rid of the BCC it would look like that.

Doctor Answers 3

Scar After Skin Cancer Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Any surgery can leave a scar, no matter what fellowship or training a physician has.  If you are worried about your previous scars from that physician, you can see another MOHS trained physician or a plastic surgeon after the cancer has been removed.  I perform plastic surgery on all my MOHS cases and often use special suturing under the skin that avoids any "track marks" like you mentioned with top stitching.  I also put skin glue on all of my closures with a special tape to hold the wound in place.  Even with this special extra-type precautions there is chance for scaring.  The majority of the wound healing occurs after the surgery is complete and when the patient arrives home.  You have some options, but seeing someone with experience is the best you can do.  The removal of the skin cancer should be your most important goal.  Any scars can be treated with lasers and revision surgery if needed. I wish you the best of luck, Dr. Emer.

Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

Cosmetically pleasing result from Mohs to neck

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The answer would be that you need to find another physician. Yes, you should expect some kind of scar, but that scar can be very minimal and barely noticeable. You should not expect a poor result and you might just want to find another doctor. The answer you were given is ridiculous. Of course you can and should expect it to look good! Find another Mohs surgeon in your area for another opinion. Look on this site for those in your area who are qualified and perform Mohs surgeries.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Treatment of skin cancer on the neck

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Sorry about your skin cancer, the most important thing is to make sure it is treated appropriately. Did you see a Mohs surgeon who is a member of the American College of Mohs Surgery. They are the only ones with formal fellowship training in Mohs surgery and sometimes some doctors will say they are "Mohs" surgeons but have no fellowship training in Mohs surgery. 

Omar Ibrahimi, MD, PhD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.