3 Weeks PO From Lipo and Fat Transfer to Hips/Butt. Question About Compression Garment? (photo)

My original garment is loose in upper body but snug on butt and hips. Can I use a waist clincher for additional compression of my waist and stomach? If I switch to a butt cut out garment will that affect my hip fat grafts since most compress the hips?? If I keep my current garment will the looseness in the waist affect my final result?? Please help and tell me my best option!!!

Compression Garments

Thank you for your question. I agree that you should consult with your plastic surgeon about your compression garment. the looseness you are experiencing can be from the swelling going down. Follow up with your plastic surgeon so he can better evaluate you. Best of luck!Dhaval M. Patel Double board certified Plastic surgeonHoffman EstatesBarringtonOakbrook Chicago

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Compression garment question - ask your surgeon

You should see your surgeon to talk about your compression garment. I would avoid wearing the additional compression until you get approval from your surgeon. The entire garment should fit snugly, although as the swelling goes down you may experience some looseness. Since you're only 3 weeks after your surgery, you may still require some more compression.

Ronald Levine, MD

Waist Cincher Post Lipo

Good question - I would bring in the garment in question to have your plastic surgeon see how it fits. My personal opinion is that the first garment should be fitted for you in the office prior to surgery and applied in the operating room. Often it will become loose as the edema is mobilized and then it will need to be replaced. Spanx is a reasonable compression garment if it gives enough support and is the right size. I have my patents bring them in and confirm that it fits well.
Most important advise is to listen to your surgeon's advice as he best knows how much fat was removed, the elasticity that remains in your skin and amount of skin redundancy.
I recommend my patients wear their garments for a minimum of 3 weeks full time then for 12 hrs (day or night). if not a lot of redundant skin following liposuction to a maximum of 6 weeks. To be effective the garment needs to fit snug but not too tight as to cause pressure problems (inspect your skin if discomfort and when skin is exposed), or prevent you from sleeping. As the edema resolves it is common for patients to switch to a smaller garment that fits - A Spanx type garment would work rather than ordering one or paying more at your doctor;'s office.
Liposuction requires compression garments for three main reasons:
it restricts the amount of edema that forms and hastens its resolution by mechanical pressure
It decreases the amount of bruising
It assists the loose skin in retracting or shrinking

Question About Compression Garment?

Thank you for your picture, Its normal after surgery when the swelling is reducing to feel the garment a little loose in specific areas, as the swelling goes down it doesn't reduce in a symmetric way. You may use a waist band to keep compressing your waist to avoid feeling bloated and more swelling. How ever every Plastic Surgeon has a specific model and brand of garments they trust, they keep the beautiful shape the Doctor has sculpted for you specifically, in this case if you do switch to another model contact your Doctor, some models like the ones with the but cut out may leave the sewing's of the garment imprinted in your skin.

Salvador Pantoja, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon