Does coolsculpting still work even when the area isn't numb after the procedure?

Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what. Every patient reacts differently to the procedure and not feeling numb doesn't change the results.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Reactions to CoolSculpting in Accordance to Results

Thank you very much for your question. Every patient will react to the CoolSculpting procedure differently. The fact that you are not experiencing any numbness following the treatment should have no bearing on your results. However, the benefits of CoolSculpting will take weeks to begin to appear, and final results will not be noticeable for about three months. If you have any further concerns, I recommend contacting your CoolSculpting provider. 

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Coolsculpting

Numbness and tingling post treatment of Coolsculpting does not happen to everyone.  So to answer your question, Yes, Coolsculpting still will work.  To see maximum results of a treatment it can take up to 12 weeks.  Hope this helps.

Grant Stevens, MD

Numbness and CoolSculpting

While numbness is a side effect of this procedure, not all patients experience this sensation. The best way to note your results is to follow the treatment plan given to you by a certified CoolSculpting Center/Plastic Surgeon and to see how you look/feel after the 90 day mark. 

Randolph Capone, MD, FACS
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

No Numbness Following Treatment

Not all patient experience the same feelings following treatments. I would not be concerned if you do not have this issue. Remember it can take up to 90 days to see results. Best of Luck.

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Numbness after Coolsculpting

While temporary numbness is common after coolsculpting, not every patient will have numbness after coolsculpting. Ensure that you choose a Certified Coolsculpting Practice and you will get the optimal treatment. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting Can Produce Temporary Numbness in the Treated Area

Thank you for your question. Temporary numbness is common after the Coolsculpting.  Not everyone has numbness following the treatment and as long as the treatment was completed you should see an improvement. It is not uncommon to have delayed onset of pain around 5 days after Coolsculpting.  The discomfort is due to inflammation of the tissue. Not everyone has pain or numbness.  The intermittent discomfort tends to subside within a week. It generally takes about 1 to 2  weeks for the swelling  subside. The numbness can take longer to resolve, especially with the larger abdominal Cool Max applicator.  I do recommend compression for at least 3 weeks or until he numbness has resolved.  We utilize the new Cool Advantage applicators which are much more comfortable and reduce treatment time to 35 minutes.  We currently have 4 Coolsculpting machines and can offer "Dual Sculpting" which further reduces the treatment time.  I recommend keeping in touch with the office of your treating provider and regular follow-up.  Best wishes.

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting Side Effects

Numbness is a common side effect of the procedure, but doesn't necessarily happen to everyone.  Sometimes patients are numb in one area and not the other, so it can vary.  As long as you completed the treatment, it should work.  Wait the full 3 months to see your results.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

CoolSculpting Swelling and Bruising -- Use Cellutone/Z Wave After and Venus Legacy / Vanqish

If the area was treated for the full treatment time, the result will be apparent in 3 months.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Does coolsculpting still work even when the area isn't numb after the procedure? Timshaye1 Baytown, TX 19 hours ago

Thank you for your question. Numbness does not indicate a successful procedure. If you have any concerns or feel that the procedure was not done correctly, I would speak to your treating physician. Regards,

Martin Jugenburg, MD