I am 58, 5'4" 186 lbs. Lateral tension TT or gastric bypass or other stomach altering surgery. (photos)

Would stomach stabling, gastric bypass etc be better than going for the TT first? I have been this weight for a while GIVE/take 10 lbs. I know I would have MORE hanging skin & would eventually need a TT with great weight loss. But the idea of altering my organs is not favorable & I know it can cause other medical/discomfort issues. My next question is, IF after the lateral tension TT I do lose between 10-20 lbs would I again be left with hanging tummy? Or can exercise and a slow loss help?

Tummy tuck

You are probably not a candidate for a gastric bypass. A tummy tuck with waist liposuction might be reasonable. Best of luck.

Procedure choice

Thank you for your question and photos. You could consider a two staged approach. In the first stage you would undergo a high volume liposuction. This would focus on the upper abdomen and flanks with the idea that the lower abdominal areas would be worked on at the abdominoplasty stage which can include additional liposuction. Any weight you lose between surgeries would be icing on the cake. You should definitely seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon. Good luck to you.

Weight loss before a tummy tuck

Abdominal fat can reside right under the skin, but also can be found deeper in the abdomen behind the muscles.  It's this internal fat that a tummy tuck will not address and is best managed by weight loss prior to surgery.

In order to get a qualified, ethical, and expert opinion on your surgical options and expectations, always have an in-person consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Keith M. Blechman, MD
New York, NY

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you will be a good candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction after some additional weight loss.  This can be done through a low incision.  The belly button can be designed to look natural and have no scars on the exterior.   Your muscles can also be plicated at the same time.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Weight loss and tummy tuck

You are not morbidly obese and I do not believe that you would be a candidate for bariatric surgery on that basis.  Try to lose another 20 pounds on your own and then consider the abdominoplasty. Best wishes. 

Tummy

Unfortunately, It appears you have internal fat which can be difficult to treat surgically. Tummy tuck would address skin and muscles, but be of little benefit now. Best to lose weight first and then an exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon would be recommended to discuss your options and expectations. 

Gastric bypass or a Tummy Tuck

Thanks for reaching out. Losing weight will be the most beneficial for your overall health.  If you could lose the weight first, then get a TT, you will have the best results and have the healthiest outcome.  Whether or not you are a candidate for a gastric bypass, gastric sleeve or banding would be left up to a Bariatric Surgeon. I would definitely consult with one and hear their point of view.  Once you have lost the weight the excess skin can be excused by a plastic surgeon.  Weight fluctuations after a TT can alter the results, and you may require a revision.

I hope this helps :)

John Paul Tutela, MD
Livingston Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss after LTA

Thank you for your question  and posting appropriate pictures. Ideally, you should continue with some more weight loss before having an LTA. The weight loss after LTA will positively affect the rest of your body and is actually an intended part of the procedure. It will not give you additional loose skin.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

TT after Weight Loss Surgery

When patients have experienced extreme weight loss due to diet and exercise, #gastricbypass surgery, or #stomachstapling  or #lapband surgery, there will be excess body skin that needs removal. In order to correct this problem many patients will need a #TummyTuck surgery, #panniculectomy, or #abdominoplasty.   This is becoming a highly requested procedure among patients who wish to rid themselves of excess skin and tighten muscle in their abdominal area. This procedure can be beneficial for women with loose skin and stretch marks following pregnancy, and patients who have undergone significant weight loss.

Tummy tuck

Thanks for your question. Even thought you are over the optimal weight for a tummy tuck we do believe you are a good candidate. After the procedure you will be able to excersise better and will be more encourage to go into a healthy life style. This has been our experience over the years with really good results in patients like you. Good luck.  

Ricardo Ventura, MD