Breast Augmentation and Lift. What kind of breast lift do I need? (Photo)

Hi. I plan to have breast augmentation ASAP. I am a 32 B and I want to be a small C or moderate C. I want to look natural. I am 5.6' and 123 pounds. I had one pregnancy that made my breast look saggy.

Breast iAugmentation- What Type of Lift is Needed?

When performing a breast augmentation there is always a decision made regarding whether a mastopexy (Breast Lift) is also needed, and if so, what type of lift. Placement of implants will generally elevate the nipple to a degree if the implant can be centered directly behind the breast. There are minimal lifts such as the crescentic excision of skin just above the areola to elevate the nipple-areolar complex slightly, frequently on one side only to achieve balance between left and right. A circumareolar mastopexy (incision completely around the areola) will also elevate the nipple but can be designed to make the areola smaller and balanced with the opposite side. Looking at your photo it appears that you likely need this type of lift for the left breast and no lift needed on the right for the mild asymmetry present.  This can be best be determined in advance using Vector 3D computer imaging which will accurately determine the amount of lift the implants alone will give you and the type of lift you may need. Best to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can share this technology with you.

Scott A. Brenman, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and lift

Small implants for "natural" look and fill after pregnancy.  

Breast lift techniques include:

- periareolar (scar limited around pigmented nipple areolar complex)

-vertical (scar around areolar and vertical)

-anchor ( above scars plus in breast crease below)

During consultation and examination the breast lift options are discussed.

Breast lift with augmentation

Thank you for your question. From your photos and desired results, it looks like you would be best served with a combination of breast lift with augmentation.  The parameters of both the breast lift and the position of the breast implants should be designed to keep the implants relatively low while lifting the breast tissue and nipple to sit directly over the implants.  For the breast lift I would recommend a periareolar (donut) technique which can elevate and improve the position of the nipples, reshape breast volume, and improve symmetry.  Adding breast implants behind the lift will give you increased fullness and a much nicer shape, and is a great decision in this case.  I would recommend cohesive silicone gel (gummy bear) implants and placement behind the muscle. Many techniques exist in breast surgery, and combined lifting with augmentation is especially tricky.  The key is working with an expert, board certified plastic surgeon to get the best plan for you.

Your breasts

With smallish implants you will probably look the best with a lift. You need to be seen to know which kind of lift would be best. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Implant procedure without mastopexia

Thanks for your photo. Based on it an implant procedure can be performed without mastopexia. After they will not look anymore saggy. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck...

Ozge Ergun, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Lollipop Lift

The goal of breast surgery is to create an aesthetic breast with the size, shape, and projection that is desired by the patient. During a breast surgery consultation, measurements of the breasts are used as a starting point to recommend a breast implant. 

The decision on size, shape, and position of these implants is based on the patient’s anatomy and the type and size of the implant and patients preferences. The need for a lift is determined by your current nipple position and the quality of your tisssue

A breast lift is often performed using one of three incisions. These include 1) an incision around the nipple areola (peri-areolar or donut), 2) an incision around the nipple combined with an extension down towards the breast crease (lollipop, vertical,  or short scar), or 3) a lollipop incision with an extension horizontally in the breast crease (inverted “T” incision or anchor).

The choice of incision is based on multiple factors including patient anatomy, surgical goals, surgeon preference, and patient preference.  

Based on your pictures, your entire breast is ptotic, not just the nipple. To lift the entire breast into a perkier position, you would likely need a lollipop lift.

See the link below for more info on breast augmentation and breast lifts.  

A detailed examination will help delineate the best surgical treatment. In office sizing and digital three-dimensional simulations can help guide your implant choices. Consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

Lift with or without implants

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift with augmentation such as silicone implants, you will get very nice results.

Patients who goes to a consultation for drooping breasts (ptosis) or volume loss after pregnancy (pseudoptosis) almost always have one very important question. "Can my drooping be corrected with just implants or do I need a lift".

Implants alone will correct drooping when:

1. Breast drooping is mild
  2. The nipple is still near the center breast and does not point downward
  3. There is some visible skin beneath the nipple/areola when looking at the breasts straight on.
  4. The patient is okay with being at least a cup size larger

A breast lift (with or without an implant) is better when:

1. Breast drooping is moderate or severe
  2. The nipple is at the bottom of the breast or points downward
  3. There is no visible skin under the nipple/areola when looking at the breasts straight on.
  4. The patient is already a C or D cup breast size and doesn't want to be larger
  5. The areola is too large and the patient wants it reduced

I also show the patient photographs of a spectrum of breast scar present after a breast lift in order to check their tolerance for this scar. Most patients are surprised how little the scar shows and are okay with proceeding. If the patient really needs a breast lift, but is concerned about the scars, I will suggest they wait on surgery. In time the breast appearance problems will usually outweigh their concern about the scars.

I use implants in combination with a lift when:

1. The patient wants to be larger in addition to being less droopy
  2. The patient desires to maintain projection and roundness of the breast mound
  3. The drooping is severe..... I recommend to see a board certified plastic surgeon for a personal evaluation and also to talk about your goals.

I recommend to make an appointment with a board certified surgeon for an evaluation and to talk abuot what kind of lift do you need and to talk about your goals.

Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Breast Lift with Implants

Hi K!  Please put an index card in your breast fold. If your nipple is at the edge of the card or below, then you would be a candidate for a lift, either a vertical or anchor or areolar incision. If your nipple is above the edge, you could be a candidate for an internal lift called the dual plane. The video below explains the dual plane internal lift.  I also attached an article from a peer-reviewed journal to give you an even better idea.  I believe the dual plane and implants alone will do it for you, and that you will not need a lift. Be sure to seek a consultation with a BC PS to be sure. All the best, “Dr. Joe”

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and posting an appropriate picture. You seem to be a good candidate for breast augmentation. For sizing and discussion about the possibility of a breast lift on your left side, you need a consultation and undergo Vectra 3-D imaging to simulate your postoperative results.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation with lift

A traditional lift with short scars would give the best results with implants for upper fullness. 

Sizing and procedure details would be discussed during consultation.