Am I a good candidate for lipo to my abdomen? I don't want a tummy tuck

I am 5'6" and I want to do lipo I don't want a TT, I don't want to be cut. No matter how much weight I lose my arms, legs, and everything else is good it is all in my belly. I loss weight, but I can't lose my belly.

Thank you for your question. Tumescent liposuction performed under local anesthesia using a microcannula is most effective. With tumescent liposuction, a small 1-2mm puncture is made using a microcannula, which is inserted in the skin to eliminate bruising, swelling and scarring for an easier recovery and a virtually undetectable incision. The microcannula also allows for a more targeted treatment to control the removal of fat. This helps contour the area more effectively and precisely. The tumescent fluid inserted numbs the area and decreases bleeding, thereby reducing a pain free recovery as possible with minimal irregularities. The primary advantages of the tumescent technique over traditional liposuction include using local anesthesia versus general, which means recovery time is shortened and there are fewer inherent risks and complications. There is little bleeding, fluid loss or discomfort. You can watch my tutorial for more information.

Thank you for the question. Liposuction vs. abdominoplasty is a good question. It would depend mainly on your skin and fat content. Is there excess skin and what quality skin type. You would need a consultation to discuss all the details and all your options regarding liposuction. The skin should retract some and may be enough for you but this would have to be determined at the time of your consultation. 

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Patients who would benefit from a tummy tuck may be pleased with results of liposuction only.

Provided your expectations are in line liposuction alone may give you satisfactory results. Post a photograph for more specific opinion.

Don't want a tummy tuck.

Hello and thank you for your question. Your belly concerns are quite common. Many of us have diet and exercise-resistant fat deposits around our midsections. You may be a candidate for Smartlipo (laser liposuction) to eliminate fat and tighten skin. See a BCPS when you're ready to start your journey. 

Best of luck. 

Dr. Burnett

Abdominal liposuction

It is not possible to advise if you are a good candidate without a photo or an exam.  Please know that even with liposuction, there are incisions that need to be made in order to introduce the instruments to perform the procedure.  The incisions are much smaller than the tummy tuck incisions, and generally heal to the point they are hard to notice, but should be mentioned since you said you don't want to be cut.  A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon can help answer your questions more fully and provide you with the many benefits of this procedure.  Good luck!

Camille Cash, MD

Lipo vs tummy tuck.

If You have a we can abdominal wall, lots of extra skin with stretch marks, and fatty tissue than a tummy tuck will get you the best results. If you only have fatty tissue in your abdominal area with no weak abdominal wall muscles along with a small amount of lose abdominal area skin, then liposuction can be ideal.

Sean T. Lille, MD

Belly issue

The issue for your abdomen may be related to fat above the muscle ( this can be treated by liposuction), visceral fat ( on the organs and not treated by liposuction, and/or weak muscles( which can only be treated by a tummy tuck). Hard to say without an exam.

Without a photo it is hard to tell

Posting a photograph on here is a great way to get unbiased opinions about what will work.  Take a photo that only shows your belly and repost the question.  Good luck!

Thank you for your question but photos are critical.  As a general rule, liposuction will not provide a good result if there is loose skin on the abdomen.  After the liposuction is performed, the loose skin will increase in severity.  Unfortunately, a tummy tuck is the only option for flattening the belly and eliminating the excess skin.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to see if liposuction alone will provide the outcome you are looking for.

Am I a good candidate for lipo to my abdomen?

Photos would be very helpful but it sounds you may well be a good candidate for lipo of your abdomen. It sounds like it is the area of isolated and stubborn fat excess. In office consultation would be your best option to get the answer you are looking for. Good luck

Boris Mordkovich, MD
Englewood Physician