How should my belly button look 22 days after TT surgery? (photo)

Hello , I had a tt on 11/1/16 and this is what my belly button looks like is this the way it should look .. or should i seek medical help ?

Belly Button 22 Days After Surgery

Here are some of the key points I provide my patients about the healing process after a tummy tuck:

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

Now, you are still early in the healing process but if you find yourself concerned or worried about anything it would be a good idea to visit your surgeon to have the area examined to check that the healing process is moving along well.

Belly button

The centre of your belly button does appear dark, and you should arrange a review with your surgeon to ensure this is not tissue necrosis. 

Anthony Barabas, MBBS
Cambridge Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck question

It's impossible to say what's going on from examining your photo. Your bellybutton does look dark and this may indicate partial or total tissue death. Please call your surgeon without delay to discuss this with them.

Necrosis

It looks like from the picture that you umbilicus( the belly button) necrosed. Best to allow it to heal and then perhaps in several months if it does not look right it can be reconstructed.

Umbilical Necrosis

Thanks for reaching out. It looks like your belly button has necrosed.  This means that the skin and possible the entire belly button has died and formed a scab.  Although this is not a medical emergency unless you have a fever, you should definitely go see your surgeon.

I hope this helps 

John Paul Tutela, MD
Livingston Plastic Surgeon