Petite woman looking to get DD? (Photo)

By all the research I've done. And my online consultation. I'm told my best result would be to go with high profile under the muse through the areola. With 500 - 550cc. Is that my best option?

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. best of luck! Dr Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Probably fine

I would think that the best thing to do at this point is see a few board certified plastic surgeons near you. The peri areola incision is less favored these days due to higher capsule formation. Good Luck!

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Without seeing you in person, I can not say for sure if the size you suggested will be appropriate for you. Best of luck.

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.   In order to obtain the best advice regarding implant selection, I highly recommend an in-person consultation. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Areolar Incision for breast augmentation

An areolar incision creates a permanent scar in a conspicuous location, and increases the risk of capsular contracture.  Given your skin laxity and well developed inframammary fold, this would be a far better option for your incision.  The choice of size could only be determined through a careful in-person consultation.

Michael Kreidstein, MD

Be careful not to put too much stock in an "online consultation." I suggest you schedule an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area. You can try on sizers, have proper measurements taken and clarify your goals. The PS can then give you his/her advise on the best options for you.Good luck!

Brian Widenhouse, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Petite woman looking to get DD?

Thank you for the question. Based on your photograph, I would be concerned that breast lifting would be necessary as well. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:  1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. 2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "DD cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice. 3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers. I hope this (and the attached link/video, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

Best size implant?

Hard to answer this question without specific breast measurements AND an in person exam. Remember to choose a board certified plastic surgeon who actually takes the time to measure you and examine your breast pocket. Remember that sizers will only give you a rough estimate. The goal of breast augmentation is to optimally fill your breast pocket, not to overstuff or understuff it. At my practice, we utilize a series of 5 breast measurements that help me determine the implant size, which in turn helps me deliver a 24 hour recovery. Do your research and choose a surgeon who takes the time to sit down with you and discuss your goals/expectations to determine the best size for you. In general, moderate profile gives you a more natural look while high profile give you the rounded, shelf push up bra look. Also, under the muscle typically gives better overlying coverage so the implant isn't as visible or palpable. Good luck!!

During your consultation, you will be measured and can try on a variety of sizes that best suits your frame and tissue. No one over the Internet will be able to tell you a specific size that would be best. Going under the muscle would help give some upper fullness and help hide the implant.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Large implants

When you are being evaluated for breast enhancement there are three major factors.1. The size you would like to be.  A 500 cc implant is much larger than the average implant I place.  If that's the size you want then it may make sense.  I don't like to substitute a larger than desired implant for performing a lift if that is the answer.2. The nipple position.  If the nipple position is low, then a moderate size implant with a lift is the best approach.3.  Skin excess. If there is skin excess, then a skin tightening lift with a moderate implant would be best.Overall, I would be hesitant to place a very large implant as a means of avoiding a lift.

Samuel Beran, MD