Concerned about right bra!

I am 4 weeks post op and am concerned i am not wearing the right bra. At my one week post op my doctor told me to go buy an underwire bra. So I did than at my three week post op the RN that removed my stitches said that I should be wearing a bra with better support! So what kind of bra should I be wearing?

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

In our practice

Every practice is different so I would strongly urge you to follow your surgeon's recommendations. In our practice, I have my patients wear a loose fitting bra that we provide for them for 6 weeks without an underwire. After 6 weeks they can wear whichever bra they prefer.

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

There is actually scientific evidence which suggest what type of bra to wear at 1 month post-op

The main reason why your question caught my eye is because I will probably tell you something here that most of your friends won't intuitively believe and most surgeons may not even know about bra wear post-op.  There have been studies done on risk factors for capsule contracture, and while the two most frequently identified factors were periareolar incision and subglandular (above muscle) implant placement, believe it or not, the third most frequently identified risk factor for capsule contracture was wearing a tight compressive bra after surgery.  This surprised me when I first read it because everyone has assumed all along that a firm, supportive bra, like a sports bra or a special surgical bra, is best.  At this time, I have my patients only wear a very lightly supportive bra from day one, and by 1 month post-op, I have them in whatever bras feel most comfortable for them.  We have done away with the compressive bras altogether in my practice, and I think that has been not only more comfortable for my patients, but it helps lower our risk factors for capsule contracture based upon scientific evidence.  A couple of bra types that my own patients seem to like are "Genie bras" and "Coobie bras."  Both of these are seamless, made of lightweight, lightly supportive cotton, and quite comfortable.  We have had no issues with lack of support, implant position, swelling, or the similar things.  Check with your own surgeon for their recommendations, though, as each surgeon will recommend the type of bra that has worked best in their experience.  Best of luck.

Concerned about bra style

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  Each surgeon will have their own garment recommendations based on the type of procedure you had performed and where your incisions are.  I would recommend speaking to your doctor and following their advice.  Hope this helps.