Very Swollen and Lumpy Pubic area and Belly Button area after 10 days of lower and upper abs smart lipo?

It is 10 days after lower and upper ab smartlipo and my pubic area is lumpy and swollen almost looks saggy and area around my bellybutton hard, sore, yellow bruising and lumpy. Is this normal? How long will it last?

Smart Lipo recovery

Your lumpiness is normal at this point. It is caused from gravitational swelling and deep bruising. Make sure you wear your garment as directed, drink plenty of fluids, and avoid exertional activity. We use an external laser called Zerona on all of our post Smart Lipo patients starting 1 week after the procedure to help this very problem. It stimulates your lymphatics and causes quicker resolution of swelling and deep bruising.

Overland Park Family Physician

Swelling and bruising post Smart Lipo

Swelling and bruising at this early stage can be normal.  The scar tissue may even get harder before it softens. If the procedure was performed correctly, the tissue will return to normal texture and softness but it may take 3-6 months.  Consult with your surgeon if you have concerns, but at this stage it's probably not anything to worry about.  Best of luck on your recovery!

Thanks for your question. This is normal. The swelling may take a couple of months to go down and massage helps with the lumps. Optimal results are reached between six to nine months. Hope this helps. Best, Dr. Katz

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Lumpy and Swollen after SmartLipo

Swelling is very common after smartlipo, especially within the first 2 weeks and especially in the pubic area (due to gravity). it should resolve over the next several weeks. Keep salt intake to a minimun. Wear a garment with a tight panty to help, as well.

Lumpiness is usually a part of the smartlipo healing process. Some of the fat cells die from the procedure but take some time to "dissolve" over time. The lumpiness can be like a "cottage cheese" effect or more linear strands. These all resolve over 12-16 weeks. 

The new Body FX device can also help smooth out irregularities.

It takes 3 to 6 months to see your final result. In time, I think you will be pleased.

Post Liposuction Pain/ Swelling -- Start Venus Legacy, Vanquish, Exilis Ultra, Massage, Cellutone/Z Wave

I suggest you see an expert as you should be getting the appropriate postoperative care at this time including hyperbaric oxygen, RF treatments, shock therapy/vibration therapy (cellutone/z wave).  Best, Dr. Emer.

Swelling in the pubic can happen after lipo of the abdomen

This is due to fluid moving downward under the effects of gravity and your compression garment. This will improve. Lumpiness in general is caused by fluid trapped within the tissues and improves more quickly if you go for lipo massages several times per week in the first month.

Swelling and lumps are normal post op, everyone responds differently, these are usually temporary. 

You are still very early in the healing process.

Close follow up with your plastic surgeon is recommended. 

10 days is too early to know

At ten days out you are in the very early healing stages, you are still bruised and swollen and need to give things time.  I would highly suggest seeing your doc who knows what was done and going over your concerns. It will take many many weeks to months to see your final result.  Good luck!

It is much too early to judge the Smartlipo

wearing a compression garment will make you feel better. also doing gentle massage to the area, will help it settle quicker. Remember with Smartlipo you will continue to improve for 6 months, so you need to be very patient. 

hang in there.

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon