How long is healing process for tummy tuck?

How soon can you resume working out ?

Exercise and Tummy Tuck

With any procedure, there is simply always going to be patient variation for recovery time as the amount of work and healing process for each patient is unique. On average, I advise my patients that they should be able to return “back to work” in 2-3 weeks. Typically a full recovery is about 6 weeks long. During this time, any heavy lifting or stress on your core is restricted. Please consider this while planning for your surgery and making a commitment to returning to your regular routine. Be sure to discuss your options with a board-certified plastic surgeon for a personalized post-surgery recovery recommendation.

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.I would recommend you consult with your surgeon seeing as they are the person who knows your background, medical history and exactly what they performed during your operation. Every patient recovers differently and at different speeds but I tell my patients to wait, at minimum, six weeks before easing back into their regular fitness routine. However, realize that your body may require some time to return to prior strength. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck healing

Most patients are 80% back to normal at 2 weeks, allowing them to return to near normal function. The last bit of recovery is usually complete by the 6 week mark, and additional softening and scar maturation occurs over the next several months.Use of EXPAREL to numb the muscle wall after surgery has resulted in significant improvements for patients with regards to pain control and I am a big fan of its use.Factors such as whether a significant amount of liposuction was performed can also affect the recovery duration.Good Luck!

Sam M. Sukkar, MD

Tummy tuck recovery

The surgery takes 3 hours or more and if you’re having the procedure as an outpatient, you’ll be able to go home shortly thereafter. There is a special technique--a pain pump-- that speeds up the recovery and minimizes postoperative discomfort by releasing pain medication in the abdomen during the first few days after surgery. You should ask your doctor if they use this because it can make a big difference in the speed and ease of recovery.   My patients generally return to work in two weeks. Note that you may walk and sit a little hunched over for a few days after the operation. Don’t even try to stand up straight during this time—you risk separating the incisions. Also, you should minimize the strenuousness or suddenness of such exertions as coughing, sneezing, and laughing.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Working out after a tummy tuck?

Typically, I tell patients that the recovery after a tummy tuck will take about 2-3 weeks; however, this can vary for every patient, and every surgeon will have a different protocol.  After surgery, you will want to start walking right away -- not exercise type of walking but an easy stroll -- this will help you to prevent blood clots which can occur after a major surgery.  Most women will walk in a slightly bent over position for unto 5-7 days and gradually will be able to become more upright.  By about 2 weeks, you should be able to go for longer walks and at a slightly faster pace.  By three weeks, I will allow my patients to gradually increase their activities but to refrain from heavy lifting or abdominal exercises -- they will be able to resume these activities by 6-8 weeks.  Definitely discuss your recovery with your plastic surgeon because he or she will have recommendations based on your individual needs!  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Healing after a tummy tuck

Thank you for your question. Healing after a tummy tuck is usually pretty straight forward.  There is a process of swelling and bruising that peaks at 3 days after surgery and then undergoes the first stage of major resolution in the first 2 weeks after surgery.  The lateer phase of healing takes place over the 2-3 months after surgery where everything really settles and softens.  It is after this time that we are getting close to the final result, though this varies patient to patient. That said, you definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety. Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

Post-Op Healing after Tummy Tuck

Here is the healing process that we recommend to our tummy tuck patients: With #cosmeticsurgery such as #abdominoplasty, we have our patients start on vitamins and supplements two weeks before and two weeks after.  We prefer VitaMedica, as we know the content of these surgical support vitamins.  The program includes Arnica and Bromelain.  Most patients will be placed in an abdominal binder, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic garment for compression over the next six weeks. Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate. You can return to full activity without restrictions at 6 weeks. This will all be specific based upon the extent of procedure that you have, so more specific details can be discussed with your surgeon at a pre-operative consultation.

Recovery time following a tummy tuck depends primarily on how extensive the procedure is whether the abdominal muscle was repaired, and your individual ability to heal. Following a tummy tuck, most patients are able to gradually return to limited exercise 3 weeks after surgery, but no impact or moderate weight activities until 4-6 weeks after the operation. I would recommend waiting 6-8 weeks before resuming strenuous exercising like sit ups in order to limit the risks of complications and to avoid undoing the muscle repair. 
You should discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon, who should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. It is important to follow all of his or her instructions.
Robert Singer, MD FACS
La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Healing after tummy tuck

Many factors come into play when determining when you can resume conditioning exercise after tummy tuck. If your health is generally good and you exercise regularly before operation, then in all likelihood you'll be able to resume conditioning level exercise at around 4 weeks after your operation. Plan to engage in non-exertional exercise beginning 7-10 days after your operation, then building upon this gradually. Expect to converse with your surgeon at regular intervals so that your progress is monitored during the recovery period.

Tad Grenga, MD, FACS
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck recovery

Tummy tuck recovery takes approximately 6 weeks in order to return to exercise.  You can begin working out around that time, but the key is to progress slowly and listen to your body.  Remember also that each person's recovery is unique and your surgeon will be able to advise what is best for you based on your situation.

Camille Cash, MD