Surgeon remove lymph nodes? My legs swell after 4 years. Is this normal? What can I do to prevent the swelling?

I had a thigh lift four years ago. the doctor removed 10 inches of skin and about 2lbs of fat. I was 428lbs and lost over 200 due to gastric bypass surgery - 10 years ago. However, since my thigh plasty my legs still swell by late evening and my ankles swell as well. I am pretty active, running, walking and working out. Did the

Thigh lift - now ankles swell in evening

Thank you for asking about your thight lift.

• I am sorry your legs are still swelling -
  • It can be difficult to determine why.
  • I doubt that your surgeon removed any lymph nodes.
  • But if you are still overweight, there may be excess pressure on the lower leg.
  • Having once been heavy, your blood vessels are permanently larger - and may cause more swelling.
  • Or there may be reasons unrelated to your surgery - such as poor vein valves in the lower leg.
  • I suggest you see your plastic surgeon to discuss studies of your veins and lymphatic system to see if a cause can be identified.
  • Or you can keep it simple by wearing knee high support hose during the day.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS