Do ENT/cosmetic surgeon's ever use liposuction to remove ear tissue (not cartilage) that they placed too much over the septum?

I found out today that my surgeon placed ear tissue on my septum because at the end of my septoplasty/tip grafting only surgery she thought my skin looked translucent as I have thin pale skin. The tissue created a dorsal hump. She said my nose was straight at the end of my surgery. I had a Kenalog shot today at 3 weeks post-op but if that doesn't work she said possible liposuction for the hump, I've never heard of this, only revisions and when can that safely be done for my situation? My nose looks awful.

Liposuction to remove tissue in the nose?

Thank you for asking about your rhinoplasty.

• It sounds as though your surgeon placed a dermal graft (deep layers of skin), 
  • After 3 weeks either the tissue has attached and is living tissue or it did not survive and is dissolved.
  • However, to remove it, the better approach would be to reopen the incision, find it and remove it.
  • Your surgeon may mean that she will use a tiny nasal suction to help to remove it. That is fine.
  • Traditional liposuction instruments would be too large for the nose.
  • I suggest you ask your surgeon to clarify what she has in mind and if concerned, get a second opinion
  • If your surgeon is a self-styled cosmetic surgeon and is not a Board Certified ENT (facial plastic) or plastic surgeon, please see one before more surgery is done.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Liposuction over the septum?

Thank you for sharing your question.  Though not knowing the full details of your procedure, ear cartilage is often used to help support portions of a formal rhinoplasty and if this lead to unintended results only a surgical revision can be performed, not liposuction.  Hope this helps.

Liposuction of the hump?

I have never heard of that either. Cartilage grafts placed over an area to camouflage if a problem would likely have to be removed directly.